Diagnostic tester, is it compatible?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First of all it was great seeing a good turnout for the AITP show. The forum done a great job and ****** some awesome burgers....

I'm after soem advice. Im looking at buying a U480 CAN-BUS OBD2 EOBD Trouble code reader. Does anyone know if this is compatible with the S3. And secondly is it any good. I've tried trawling the net to see if its compatible, with no success.

Heres a link

U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Cheers
[h=1][/h]

Should work if its OBD2 complient... as to if its any good then I suspect it will be as useful as any other generic code scanner..

You will need to do extra work to get to the bottom of faults as VAG have an extended code set and generic scanners tend to give a basic code with no detail so makes it more difficult to diagnose if the fault is an actual fault or symptomatic of something else...

Personally there is nothing that can replace VCDS as a diag tool...

Get a cheap ebay lead and VCDS light

<tuffty/>

Better off going for VCDS Lite and a basic cable of Ebay.

I have one of those, quite basic but it works well for reading and clearing faults. I got one for about £6 on eBay with a sneaky bid. Then I got vcds lite aswell and it's alot better but if that's your only option then go for it

Cheers I've only got a dektop. No laptop so this is rally the only option for me.

Ah... bummer....

Then... it will 'do' but suggest you spend some time looking up what the codes refer to using the following resource before posting questions as it will help us work out whats going on...
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

Not sure what codes the reader will provide but most cheap generic ones use the OBD2 std P codes which VAG have extended a bit to give more granular diagnostics...

<tuffty/>