Wierd power loss

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Basically the other day was at a junction and went to pull away by raising the revs to about 2-3k and with the clutch slightly on the bite dumped the clutch and throttled it and it sort off held back and sounded as though the air was rushing out of somewhere would i be right in saying i need to change to the yellow sping on my 007p the WG actuator is set to 8psi and on stock chip ?? Its only thing i can think it is.

thoughts opinons please ive also noticed that when giving it some when changing from 2nd to 3rd it some times feels as though it does it but tends to be more of a boost spike as ive glanced the boost gauge.

Mine was doing something similar.

First started noticing it doing a quick start on a particular junction thats uphill, I'd often bog the engine down and there would be a huge juddery delay. It slowly got worse until eventually it would do it at low RPM's and high load, IE if you floored it in 5th at 2krpm.

Swapped out some of the coilpacks and it went away, so i presume its just a load related missfire.

If you think its the DV sticking, you could always swap it out for an OEM one?

Cheers for the advice mate, i was thinking in the back of my mind could it be the coil packs or even the ICM, il see how it goes i may just get the ICM delete kit and coil harness ?? Opinions ??

What would switching from a green spring to a yellow do would it be a quicker more audible dumping sound or is it just going to struggle to open the valve when dumping.

im having the same prob, it started when i fitted a new turbo, first i took the turbo bk thinking it was that but still happened with next 1then i was told it was a boost leak on my ITP so ive change all them but still used the after macket DV that was fitted and its still doing it, so i made my own boost leak test erm thingy lol and found a leak on 1 of my injectors, ive got a stock DV 2 fit plus got another set of injectors and also had the same thought as aragorn so i got some more coilpacks, want 2 get some new spark plugs b4 i fit them though, should get them tues, plus ive just fitted a new rocker cover gasket, gonna try 1 at a time see which 1 sorts it if any lol wish me luck

If you suspect a missfire, then you can test it out by putting the engine under really high load at low RPM's

On mine full throttle in 5th gear at ~2000rpm would give really bad jolting.

That said, a lot of the S3 boys suggest the green spring is useless and they all use the yellow one, so might be worth changing that just to rule it out.

If you suspect a missfire, then you can test it out by putting the engine under really high load at low RPM's

On mine full throttle in 5th gear at ~2000rpm would give really bad jolting.

That said, a lot of the S3 boys suggest the green spring is useless and they all use the yellow one, so might be worth changing that just to rule it out.

I fitted a k04 last week and since then my car doesn't like full throttle from low revs in 5th (no problems if I thrash it through the gears)
I was thinking it was a turbo fault but misfire makes more sense
Are there any tests you can do on coil packs ? Or is a case of swapping them out one at a time

got a boost guage?

I find mine spikes quite a bit if you do what you describe. I'm running stock map with the scroll turbo and find that if i give it a boot full at ~2k it'll sometimes jump as high as 15psi rather than the 10psi it usually sits at. Presumably the boost PID not matching the larger turbo very well.

Mine would pull thru the higher RPM's just fine, but hit it at low RPM's where the spike gets involved and it would judder. I can only imagine the coil was getting weak, and while it could still ignite 10psi's worth of charge 15psi was too much for it.

Swapped two coils out with some spares and it went away.

I guess you could swap all four for the ones from your missus car and see if it goes away. If it does, swap them back one by one until the issue returns.

It goes straight to 15 then seems to bounce between 14-15 but car doesn't want to accelerate (at this point I back off throttle) so it would seem to be missfire but as ive only just fitted turbo that was my first thought, going through gears it now hits 17-18 peak (15 peak on k03)
Will swap them over and check plug gaps while I'm there

Aragorn that is exactly my symptoms and im on the FT with stock map and as you say olds_kool i have to back off the throttle as theres no power and it feels/sounds as though the engine i going to blow lol

Ive had mine spike to around 25 psi before now and then i heard a loud pop noise which i think was all the unburnt fuel in the system

it requires some soldering, you need to hack up that loom, and splice it into your existing loom.

If your going to do it, you might as well buy the coil adaptors and use the TFSI coils, as they're cheap.

Cheers for info is it relatively easy to pin point which wires go where or is it a matter of checking continuity by pin numbers at the ecu then matching it up on the loom how easy is it to delete the ICM ?