lambda probe

chukkieegg

Reaction score
HI my 1.8 t sport a3 aum engine code failed mot today with a lambda probe error failure issused states exhaust emissions lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits then in fault box says co/0.0 lambda 1122 should be 1030

I know there are 2 probes one before the cat and one after cat

europarts quoted £75 for 1 and £88 for other any one know which one is likely to be playing up as i dont fancy paying for both unless i am unable to work out which one is faulty

Mate going to run vagcom on it tomorrow but will that define which one is at fault

cheers
Lee

right got both lambda probes and had them fitted tonight
anyway car runs fine but once it warm engine management light comes back on used my mates snapon diagnostic device and it comes up with 02 sensor 1 wire burn fault 02 sensor 2 wire burn fault could they be the wrong lambda probes soory did get the error code number they are not geniune sensors but not cheap ones either paid £120 ish for the 2 probes

sorry latest update car has been stood on drive for over an hour and a half switched on and ecu light is now on permantley
any ideas would be great thanks
lee

Hi Chukkie,

I had a similar problem this year with my post cat lambda's (after i attacked it with fire, Muh ha ha) I went through 3 diff lambda's before i got it sorted. Same process as you cleared the code and within a time period the EML would come on.

Got it sorted in the end through the help of J from Lambdapower, got a genuine bosch unit for just under a tonne and the thing hasnt dared light up again. Seems some of 3rd party parts don't play nice with the car.

Hope this helps,

Matt

(N.B this is my experience with a similar problem and not a defo fix, just incase anyone with better knowledge wants to flame me) :)

well finally got it sorted the front sensor was a bosch one but they had supplied the wrong sensor for the cat putting the right one in has cured the fault engine management light now stays off and no error codes can get it back into MOt centre next week and get it moted

many thanks for all help and advice given

cheers

Lee