Life Expectancy & Big Mileage

element137

Reaction score
Hi all,
After a year of owning my A3 I am due to change jobs which is going to mean 140 mile a day round trip - expecting to get the choice between company car or allowance, I really love the A3 and seriously thinking about going for the allowance and commuting in it - but - 2008 plate with 75K already on the clock .

I am seriously worried what 35K mileage a year is going to do to the car on top of its age already ? - its got FASH to date, and plenty of TLC - has anyone got any experience of running an A3 upto the sort of mileage I would put on it over the next two years ? - its a 2.0 TFSI S-Line - and I dont want to let it go !!!!

Opinions ?

My is 2.0TDI 2004 with 93K on the clock,still going up fast. I had no problem with my at all. With my last honda civic which was a petrol car I have done 135K on it and never had any problem with it and it was a 54 plate :))As long you service your car every year and change oil every 8-10k miles you will be fine :))

I'd go company car route doing that mileage in it. For one the company will be responsible for car and it's running costs, and the depreciation on a car doing that mileage is massive!

I brought my 2004 2.0tdi back in October '09 with 72k on the clock. It now has 140k on the clock and still going strong. Regular servicing and most newer cars can cope with high mileage (not saying older cars can't, my old mk3 golf GTI had 140k on the clock and was 16bhp up from standard when it was dyno'd!)

Thanks guys - head is telling me company car route - but i dont want to let my A3 go - all my previous cars been company cars - so this last year I have been able to own something I want - quattro is a killer on taxation - so first time I have been able to have one - and have loved every minute -

Yeah at that mileage, company car all the way. They take care of all the bills and if you do have one, a bump.

You really need a diesel for that kind of mileage, the A3 will cost a small fortune to fuel and maintain because it's just at that mileage when bushes, hoses, bearings, etc. need replacing.

you know it makes sense. ;)

company car FTW
why not order a new A3 sportback BE 170 TDI with quattro and flog yours.

I have done both and you wont be worried about a company car getting stone chips, scraped, where you leave it, how you clean it, how you drive it, if you bump it, wear and tear, impending and expensive bills if it goes wrong etc etc etc.

my a3 costs me £ 150 per month in tax and there is no way I could afford to buy and run one for that. And I get a new one every three to four years.

company car FTW
why not order a new A3 sportback BE 170 TDI with quattro and flog yours.

I have done both and you wont be worried about a company car getting stone chips, scraped, where you leave it, how you clean it, how you drive it, if you bump it, wear and tear, impending and expensive bills if it goes wrong etc etc etc.

my a3 costs me £ 150 per month in tax and there is no way I could afford to buy and run one for that. And I get a new one every three to four years.

I have allways had company cars before - but from a tax point of view assumed a quattro would be expensive from a C02/banding point of view ? - cheers anyway - will have a look as what a diesel quattro will cost me in tax - maybe a better compromise than running my current car into the ground. Thanksfor the comments.

Diesel Sportback BE quattro is actually surprisingly good on emmisions - looked at tax calcs and looks like about £320 a month for the car and fuel in additional tax - which is starting to look very attractive..........

Big thanks to lgooch for the tip, cheers

anyone know rough lead time on new BE ?

The stop start on the A3 really does cut the emissions for fleet drivers. I pay the same in tax on a 5 year old Golf GT Sport 2.0 Tdi which had a list price of 19k as I do on my fully loaded 27k A3 black edition. I would have had the 170 if I could have afforded it, but some say the DPF issues have put them off and gone for the 140 like I did.

I waited 4 months for my BE. Audi seemed to have been getting a little bit quicker. There is a thread on here which is all about BE deliveries.