What material of TIP?

a318t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a very quick and random question - what material is the turbo inlet pipe made from on the 8L 1.8T's? I've heard that it is metal and therefore cannot collapse under high pressure? Is this true?

(I should really just get off my back side and look :readit:)

haha

Cheers!

Some are rubber all the way to the turbo like mine on my BAM K04 i think K03`s have a metal pipe onto the turbo and then rubber upto the airbox.

All can get old and start to collapse this is why upgrading to Silicone is reccomended.

I see :) Basically I need to check it and if it's weak, replace! Any recommended manufacturers/makes of replacement TIPs?

Thanks

If you have a K04 then badger 5 is your man as everyone says his v2 kit is superb epecially mated with a jetex filter.

I am currently running an ebay special silicone TIP that i bought cos my OEM TIP had split and i needed a quick replacement cheap.

I have now added a Jetex induction kit and am waiting to find out about the B5 V3 TIP as i have seen it mentioned that Bill is producing a cheaper version with still very good gains.

K03 turbo's have a 2 piece tip thats alloy at the bottom and rubber at the top... the K04 TIP is 1 piece rubber... they don't collapse under pressure as they don't see pressure ;P

...however... the K04 tip is known to collapse when it goes soft from heat (as rubber does) due to the vacuum created trying to draw a lot of air through its small neck.. something the Badger 5 80mm K04 TIP fixes (and then some)..

The K03 doesn't suffer from the same issue (partially due to the alloy part of the TIP and partially due to it not drawing as much air as a mapped K04)

<tuffty/>

K03 turbo's have a 2 piece tip thats alloy at the bottom and rubber at the top... the K04 TIP is 1 piece rubber... they don't collapse under pressure as they don't see pressure ;P

...however... the K04 tip is known to collapse when it goes soft from heat (as rubber does) due to the vacuum created trying to draw a lot of air through its small neck.. something the Badger 5 80mm K04 TIP fixes (and then some)..

The K03 doesn't suffer from the same issue (partially due to the alloy part of the TIP and partially due to it not drawing as much air as a mapped K04)

<tuffty/>

Music to my ears haha ;)

Had a stage 1 R-Tech map, would the extra hp cause this?

Just trying to diagnose the flatness over 3,500, although I'm still fairly sure it's the knackered actuator.....just seems strange that it was fine for a week after the remap....and now it isn't. Clearly the remap was fine though, it's a problem elsewhere!

Last edited:
Or just listen to Tuffty lol