Replacement Electric Aerial/Antenna on 1996 A8

BigJ

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've just fitted a replacement automatic aerial on my A8 with the one from VAGParts as recommended in several other previous threads.

It had 3x wires not including the coax cable for the radio reception itself:-
Red (12v?),
Blue (signal for extend/retract?),
Black (ground?)

I've connected it up and get proper extend/retract movement but quite poor reception to my OEM Delta-Gala Head Unit!? Anyone have any theories why this might be the case please?

I also noticed that the original aerial assembly connected to a brow wire from the loom - anyone know what that wire was for? Would it have held the aerial down if the CD changer was being listened to instead of the radio perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Many thanks in advance for any help that people can be with this?

Cheers,

BigJ.

Thinking about it..... Does anyone know if A8 automatic aerials have built in amplifiers/boosters at all?

Or do the OEM head units provide all Radio signal amplification?

Perhaps that is what the brown wire was for?
(I don't really know obviously - just guessing!?)

Cheers,

Big J

I really cant remember what it looked like. At £10, I'd just get 1 from a stealer. If I can get the head unit out, I'll post a picture. I doubt I have the tool though...

My FM reception is still very poor (on the new head unit and the old OEM Audi Delta unit)!?
I have noticed that it seems to be OK with the engine off, but with the engine running I appear to have quite a bit of interference/low signal strength (even with my new automatic antenna!)???

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Cheers guys,
BigJ.

[ QUOTE ]
If I can get the head unit out, I'll post a picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
471373-RadioBooster.jpg

Many thanks GeorgieMcC!
I'm still trying to track my order with Royal Mail!? They seem to have lost it (but it's not officially declared lost until after 14 days apparently!)
But comparing your photo to the item I've ordered they look very different. I hope they do the same thing though. If I ever receive it and get it fitted - I let you know! Thanks again for the effort and photo.
Big J.