how do i program my key fob

yendall24

Reaction score
hi all . i am looking for some advice regarding my key . last week for no apparent reason my key fob stopped working it just refused to operate the central locking . so i got myself another key off ebay its from the same car as mine with the correct part number now bareing in mind i only have one key can anyone shed any light on how to program it to my car which is an a4 1.9tdi 2004 reg.i have swopped the transponder from my original key so i am able to unlock the drivers door manually and start the car . so its only the central locking part that i need to program any help would be very much appreciated

Reactions: Teapot_2012
I think all you have to do is put the key in the ignition, switch it on and press unlock on the key fob, I may be wrong but that worked for my mate when we replaced his battery

Last edited:
think when your key is in ign you have to do a combo with unlock and lock .. try goolge it ????????

Yes it's a combination of pressing buttons.

Switch the ignition on, then press unlock, switch the ignition off, then press lock or unlock. dont think it really matters. you will know when it's worked as the central locking will make a noise

Ive got 2 keys with mine but the remote fob on the other key will not program what so ever, shame as its brand new looking with no marks and even the buttons look new, the one i use everyday looks like its been run over ! but if it's as simple as buying a new button set and if that will program to any car then I'll have a look on ebay

hi all . i am looking for some advice regarding my key . last week for no apparent reason my key fob stopped working it just refused to operate the central locking . so i got myself another key off ebay its from the same car as mine with the correct part number now bareing in mind i only have one key can anyone shed any light on how to program it to my car which is an a4 1.9tdi 2004 reg.i have swopped the transponder from my original key so i am able to unlock the drivers door manually and start the car . so its only the central locking part that i need to program any help would be very much appreciated

You will need vag-com to programme the infa red side of things, the button combo will only work for a battery change on the original key although my original key would do this by simply locking and unlocking the drivers door with it.

You will need vag-com to programme the infa red side of things, the button combo will only work for a battery change on the original key although my original key would do this by simply locking and unlocking the drivers door with it.

so if its the case i need vcds is there anyone in the salford / manchester are that could help me out for a few beer tokens

There is no infra red,it's a radio RF key, but yes you are correct if it's lost it's registration it may need coding.

Whatever it is you still need vag- com, well at least when I changed mine to B7 keys and my friends B6 keys after a re-vamp (basically a new B6 key) they still needed pairing with vag-com.

Sorry, I'm confused.
My mate just bought a B6. He got 2 different keys. The older looking key works fine.

The newer one (which is similar to my 8P one) will unlock / lock (and activate alarm) if you put it in the door. It also starts the car.
However it doesn't remotely lock or unlock.

I've tried starting the ignition / lock/unlock button, etc - but that hasn't helped.

What else could it be? It doesn't need reprogramming on VCDS does it if it's starting the car??
Or does it?