Fan-tastic

23e Heure

Reaction score
Hi All.

My 2.5TDI Q Avant has decided to fan-ny around in more ways than one.
I've searched for related threads and found 100s about fans but got confused so hoping for someone to help in the B6 section.

1) Cabin blower fan has started to blow intermittently.
The control panel is lit up correctly and responds to +/- on blower speed setting (ie more/less bars show).
But the fan itself is only 'on' 90% of the time.
And my wife callled from work today to say it seems like it blows driver side only.

- Any ideas? Are there more than one fan (ie drivers side/passenger side?)
- What's te fix? Fuse / connections / Replacement blower unit

2) Engine cooling fan has developed a mind of its own.
My wife went outside to drive to work at 6 this morning - came back in to wake me up saying 'The fan's running on the car!'
She says she hadn't unlocked the car with the remote before walking out the front door, but at that time of the morning she may be mistaken.
Definitely had not started the car or put key in ignition though.
So we don't know how long the fan had been running, but I doubt for too long otherwise the battery would have gone flat.
I drove about 150miles in it yesterday, and haven't had any troubles with it until now.
Temperature gauge has always sat at 90 dead

- Again, any ideas?
- Heat sensor (where/what is that)? Why would the fan be able to activate if the car was locked and cool for hours?
- Expensive? :confused:

Thanks guys!

Not sure about the interior heater fan problem.

But the cooling fan problem could be down to a faulthy fan switch. Not sure where its located on the diesel but on my car its in the bottom radiator hose.
Maybe worth trying that first ?

I would also check the sensor but dont know where it is.Some fans have run on after the ignition is off but I have this model and have never noticed it do that.There are threads about the blower and flaps which control circulation.It may be a bad connection to the fan or the motor may be failing