Any mechanic/auto electrician in or around Bristol?

doublem_1

Reaction score
My A3 has a battery drain problem and I am in need of an auto electrician to source where it is coming from. If I leave it anywhere past 3 days the battery doesn't ahve enough power to start. It is definately not the battery, I had it tested and it was fine, as a gesture of good will they replaced it with a brand new one and it still does it (it's a bosch silver 820 amp one!). So, does anyone know of a good garage that will check this out for me? I am in Bristol.

Im a tech for Toyota.

Drains can be a pain and time consuming to find.

First measure the drain amount. As a rough guide, much more than .2 - .3 amps and id be looking for drains.

Remove the negative battery terminal, and connect a multimeter inline, between the battery and earth lead, set on amps. This will show the amount of amps being used.

To find the drain, its normally a case of disconnecting things that drain power, or pulling fuses to isolate which circuit its on.

Im a tech for Toyota.

Drains can be a pain and time consuming to find.

First measure the drain amount. As a rough guide, much more than .2 - .3 amps and id be looking for drains.

Remove the negative battery terminal, and connect a multimeter inline, between the battery and earth lead, set on amps. This will show the amount of amps being used.

To find the drain, its normally a case of disconnecting things that drain power, or pulling fuses to isolate which circuit its on.

Hi,

Thanks for the help, I have borrowed a multimeter as it happens but not clued up on how to use it. What amp setting do I need to put the switch to? And do I put the wires in the fused slots?

Without seeing it...

Theres normally settings like 200ma, 20a etc. Normally they only have a 10a max fused rating. Black COM should remain the same, Red will go in which ever lists Amps, normally listed as 10a max.

Forgot to say, Westlec in patchway are great for auto electrics.

Though id have a go yourself, once you get the reading, start pulling fuses, and hopefully you will locate the circuit which is draining, then work out whats on that circuit etc.
Assume youve checked obvious things, interior light/boot light etc.
Got an aftermarket amp fitted ? Known people to wire them up wrong and they drain constantly.

Id also check the battery voltage, and again with car running. Forgot to ask if thats been checked ? Though normally get a warning light, worth checking though.
Its easy to jump in and assume the worst. But always check the basics. Earth cables condition, locating points etc

Where abouts are you ?

Without seeing it...

Theres normally settings like 200ma, 20a etc. Normally they only have a 10a max fused rating. Black COM should remain the same, Red will go in which ever lists Amps, normally listed as 10a max.

Forgot to say, Westlec in patchway are great for auto electrics.

Though id have a go yourself, once you get the reading, start pulling fuses, and hopefully you will locate the circuit which is draining, then work out whats on that circuit etc.
Assume youve checked obvious things, interior light/boot light etc.
Got an aftermarket amp fitted ? Known people to wire them up wrong and they drain constantly.

Id also check the battery voltage, and again with car running. Forgot to ask if thats been checked ? Though normally get a warning light, worth checking though.
Its easy to jump in and assume the worst. But always check the basics. Earth cables condition, locating points etc

Where abouts are you ?

Hi thanks again. I am in Frenchay, near the hospital. I have checked the interior lights, boot lights, glove box etc. There is no aftermarket amp. I haven't checked the earth cable though.