What is this noise and what is it going to cost me?

Reesy

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My car makes this weird noise on tick over. It's a ticking sort of noise and seems to go in a cycle. I have a video for you:

Weird Noise

Seems to make the noise whether the car is hot or cold.

Thanks

Link works for me. Sorry reesy, dont know what that noise is, never heard anything like that before. Hope someone can identify for you and it dont cost lots to fix. :)

If I'm right I asked this question the other week and it turned out to be the charcoal canister ticking and its supposed to do it. I couldn't listen to the link so this is a guess :)

My last TQS had the same engine and the charcoal canister didn't make this much noise, plus it doesn't sound far enough over to be the canister, sounds more like the belt side of the block.

As maz said it sounds like a tensioner or roller.. It sounds like its happening when the belt hits a certain point.. Does it interval faster when revved?

As maz said it sounds like a tensioner or roller.. It sounds like its happening when the belt hits a certain point.. Does it interval faster when revved?

Yeah it does, although the noise seems to change and the car sounds like a sewing machine as the revs build :( I have only just got round to posting about this, despite it annoying since i got the car.

Reactions: deeman88
Get it sorted Reesy, mine was making that exact noise in the vid and then two weeks later it went pop... No damage done luckily, I just had to limp home with no power steering.

...thinking back I think it was actually the alternator pulley/tensioner.

It sounds like something on the serpentine belt run. Whip the belt off and inspect the tensioner, alternator pulley, p/s pulley and ac pump pulley. I'm at the workshop until 7 if you want to pop over and I'll have a look at it.

As said, remove the AUX belt and see if it goes away. Also worth checking the PAS pump fluid as if that's low you'll get a funny cyclic noise.