B7 slip ring into a B6

s3tby

Reaction score
Hi all,

My G85 sensor has gone kapput. It's part of the clock spring / slip ring behind the steering wheel. Usually when people replace these, they're upgrading to a B7 MFSW so the write-up's I have seen always swap out everything to get the B7 MFSW working.

I'm not interested in upgrading the steering wheel in any way. I'm just looking to straight replace the faulty sensor. I've tried taking it out and cleaning it (since it's an optical sensor) -but no joy.

I can find a new unit for £179+VAT for my B6.

I've found the same component from a B7 (used) for £30. It looks exactly the same as far as I can tell, but I'm aware the B7 has a dual firing airbag so I'm not sure it will work with my B6.

The supplier of the new clock / slip ring has told me the B7 part has a different part number.

Does anybody know if a B7 clock spring would be compatible in a B6, disregarding any steering wheel upgrade? I just have a standard 3 spoke steering wheel, not MFSW, which I'm looking to keep in there, just replacing the clock spring. Thanks for any insight.

I have been told that B6 models have single firing for high impact only and B7 Dual firing for low and high impact there is a guy that I know that has no end of problems with airbag lights after he done this all I can say mate as its a safety feature to help save life you should not mess around with it I would replace like for like I had to do mine it took an hour then I had to re code it. If you have a trade part specalist near you get it from them you will save about £40 rather than going to the stealer ship.

Yup I think so. Using Google images and searching for a "Audi B6 slip ring" and then "Audi B7 slip ring" you can see very clearly that the airbag pass through connector is different. It doesn't have the groves on the top of it for the B6 airbag wire harness to plug into.

It was TPS that quoted me £179+VAT! Stupid amount of money for what it is.

When used with a load that has a torque curve that increases with speed, the motor will operate at the speed where the torque developed by the motor is equal to the load torque. Reducing the lad will cause the motor to speed up, and increasing the load will cause the motor to slow down until the load and motor torque are equal. Operated in this manner, the Rotary joint losses are dissipated in the secondary resistors and can be very significant. The speed regulation is also very poor.

S3tby : Where did you get a quote for a b7 clock spring for £30? what part no did u get quoted?

thanks.

It was just one I found on ebay, out of a B7 that someone was breaking. If you're doing a MFSW upgrade or something you'll need the B7 clock spring, otherwise stick to the B6 part as the steering wheel air bag connectors are different between the B6 & B7's. You'll get the red airbag light trying to plug the B6 wheel bag into a B7 clock spring.

I got my B6 clock in the end for £20, again from eBay breaking ad's. Good luck.