Fuel Tank Capacity and On Board Computer Help

SCFC_Messiah

Reaction score
Once again apologies for the obvious questions. But as I mentioned elsewhere, when I bought the car it didn't come with a user manual and unfortunately I'm struggling to find the relevant information online

Firstly - What is the tank capacity on my 56 plate 3 door A3? I've read that they have 65 litre tanks. However, from virtually empty (just 20 miles of drive time left according to the on board computer), I filled up today and by 51 litres the tank was literally overflowing. Surely I didn't have 14 litres of fuel left in the tank before filling up, so how come I could only get 51 litres in?

Secondly - I'm struggling to understand the on board computer. What is the difference between Computer 1 and Computer 2? I pressumed that they both done the same thing, just giving you the option of keeping track from two different start points. But after filling up today, I reset Computer 1 via the menu before driving 40 miles. A few hours later I went for another ride, before I realised for some reason Computer 1 had reset itself yet again. Unless theres an alternative way of resetting the computer without going into the menu I definately didn't reset it myself, either on purpose or accidentely. Computer 2 hasn't been reset for a very long time (3,000 miles ago), so that didn't spontaneously reset itself today like Computer 1 did. Any I deas what might have happened for Computer 1 to reset itself like that?

Fuel economy seems very poor too (32MPG according to the computer, which I've read over reads at the best of times. So sub 30MPG doesn't seem right to me), but I'll wait until I've emptied this tank and done a proper brim to brim test and worked out the numbers before worrying about it too much

Last edited:
Hi mate, welcome to owning an A3!
As far as im aware the fuel tank holds 55 litres and computer 1 resets itself every time you start the engine where as computer 2 will only reset when you decide to. I generally have computer 1 on remaining fuel left and computer 2 on my average mpg but of course its up to you :icon_thumright:

Oh, I see! :blush:

Thanks for clarifying that mate. I presumed both computers only reset themselves when you manually done it yourself via the on board menu

Life would be so much eaiser if I had that damn owners manual!! £50 from the main dealer is starting to seem more reasonable with each passing day to be honest :tapedshut:

Thanks again fella :)

Computer 1 resets itself after a set peroid of time, Computer 2 has to be manually reset.

A3's hold 55 litres of fuel, Quattro's hold an extra 5 litres iirc.

As said above, computer 1 resets after the car has been stopped for about 2 hours.

I miss the feature my last car had (Honda) - you could set the first trip computer to reset when it was refuelled, so the first computer could show you average mpg, distance etc for the current tankful, and the second trip computer could aggregate this up over a longer period of time, until it was reset manually - Kind of like the computer 1 & 2 on the Audi, but the resetting after a couple of hours is a bit annoying.

I miss the feature my last car had (Honda) - you could set the first trip computer to reset when it was refuelled, so the first computer could show you average mpg, distance etc for the current tankful, and the second trip computer could aggregate this up over a longer period of time, until it was reset manually - Kind of like the computer 1 & 2 on the Audi, but the resetting after a couple of hours is a bit annoying.

This is exactly what I presumed the two computers were for! One for MPG etc over the current tankful, the other for MPG etc over a greater period of time. I don't really see the benefit of the computer resetting itself, but not a big deal really

Thanks all

Thanks for that Sailo. The guy I spoke to at the Audi dealership told me that the manuals were not just model specific, but also spec specific. He said the reason they were so expensive is because they had to produce one specifically to match the spec of my car and that if I bought online it wouldn't match.... It didn't sound right at the time. Seems he was feeding me bullsh*t :blush:

The manual covers the models available at the time of printing. Just ask the seller what year it is and whether it specifies the models. Some of the auctions give you details on that some don't.
Good luck mate!

Far as your fuels concerned i've a 170 tdi stronic 08 plate and im getting average dis of 40 which on mine really means 35.
And that's some seriously crappy roads.
I've noticed it really dosent like stop start journeys.
Bear in mind this is the pd engine changed to cr on 58's.

Every car i've owned has had worse fuel efficiency than other people have claimed to be getting in their cars of the same model. I'm either seriously unlucky when buying cars, heavy footed (I wouldn't say I am), or live in an area that's conducive to poor MPG.To be fair I live on top of a large hill, so have to drive up and down it no matter where I go in the car. Being Wales, there's a fair few of them around this way too. Swansea is also notorious for all its traffic lights, so there's plenty of start stop driving. I wonder is this is the reason for the lower than average MPG?Are the S Tronics better or worse for MPG? Any chance you could tell me what your average speed is on your on board computer too? This wont always be the case, but generally speaking the lower the average speed the lower the MPG should be. I think I was getting 33MPG according to the computer, with an average speed of 20MPHThanks a lot :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. 27.2 is my average speed on comp 2.
Quite surprised thought it would've been higher