A3 1.8t won't always start and when it does it stalls after a few seconds

Tony toss

Reaction score
Hi,
Iv got a preface lift a3 1.8t that has been left for a few weeks and the battery is just about flat so I have tried jump starting it and it just cranks over for ages and after about 5 attempts starts but dies after a few seconds and will not restart.
I have tried leaving it for a while before trying again and I get the same problem.
Have also tried a new battery that I know is good in it and have had no luck.
Has Anybody got any ideas of fixes?

I had this turned out it was fuel relay they have two relays a cheap ten quid one and the more expensive 40 quid one and guess what one fixed it was the 40 quid one! Try that fixed mine

Don't show up if it same as mine guy who works for aa told me common problem he found with the 1.8 engines

Hi, iv scanned it with vag com with no luck and used my autel maxiscan vag 405 and that didn't show anything really just a radio ariel code.
Baby audi where did you get your relays from?
cheers tony

Erm gsf don't use eurocarparts I got sold wrong ones twice and gave up plus they 5 quid more expensive! Hope it works for u too

still not having much luck with this guys.
ran diagnostics on it again today and came up with a few fault codes these were
0152 which are all injector shorts to ground
01247 charcoal filter solenoid valve
01262 solenoid valve boost pressure short

I have brought a fuel pump relay from GSF (£40ish) but when i came to fit it it didnt match up with any of the relays in my relay box, i have got relay numbers 53, 387, 382, 53 (installed on its side), 100, 167 (installed upside down), 377 (installed upside down)
can anybody shed some light on this please or is it time to throw it at a garage and see if they can sort it out. the car will only turn over now will not fire at all.

Many thanks for any help Tony

Sounds like a wiring fault to have brought up all those codes...

s3gazz had a shed load of sensor faults and it turned out to be a wiring issue with the MAF... the plugs fall apart so could be worth looking at that..

Its something sharing a feed to all those sensors that causing the issue... find that and I would imagine they would all go...

<tuffty/>