OEM suspension

Grazam

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently just fitted my new AP coilovers from venomsport they work very well and real easy to fit. The only problem I hit was the condition of my old suspension, I was just thinking its worth giving everyone a heads up on.

I have a 51 plate quattro which has done 130k miles,

When I took the rear springs out I looked at them and they had corroded to the housing and snapped the spring about 1 turn round on both sides.

On the front pas side the damper was completly shagged and the drivers side still worked but was on its last legs and thats after 11 years.

It might be wise if you know how or to get a mechanic to take a look at them, suspension is kinda an important part of a car :p.

Thanks

Graham

Hi guys,
I recently just fitted my new AP coilovers from venomsport they work very well and real easy to fit. The only problem I hit was the condition of my old suspension, I was just thinking its worth giving everyone a heads up on.

I have a 51 plate quattro which has done 130k miles,

When I took the rear springs out I looked at them and they had corroded to the housing and snapped the spring about 1 turn round on both sides.

On the front pas side the damper was completly shagged and the drivers side still worked but was on its last legs and thats after 11 years.

It might be wise if you know how or to get a mechanic to take a look at them, suspension is kinda an important part of a car :p.

Thanks

Graham

Put quite simply, I would say after 60-80k miles, dampers would be past their best and worth changing for piece of mind, but as we drive our cars daily in most cases, we don't notice the deteriation over time, or just accept that the car is getting old, so the feeling of 'not as good as it should be' is accepted!

Regarding the springs corrosion, it's a common problem on 8L's they all corrode eventually and snap!