Upgrade to BBK with a smaller rotor disc (2mm difference)? ABS works with BBK?

kinson

Reaction score
Need some expert advice...

I have been searching for a set of BBK which can fit under the 18 x 8J Rays Volkracing G2 wheels. Whilst the Alcon Advantage Extreme is probably the best kit I may find in the market, this Mono6 kit comes with a 365 x 32mm rotor disc which is slighly too big to fit inside the wheel without a spacer added.

I therefore thought about getting the Mono4 kit, which comes with a 343 x 32mm rotor disc. Personally, I prefers the 4-pot caliper, since Hong Kong (where I live) is such a small place and without track facilities, really aggressive driving is not that common. I've never been able to go beyond 160km/hr and I'm too chicken to drive really fast. However since the stock rotor size is already 345mm, I have no idea what the implication is to use a smaller disc (though it's just 2mm difference)... After all, I wish to find a set of brake which can give me the comfort to drop 30km/hr within 2 secs when needed.

Based on my wild and unscientific guess, a smaller rotor with a caliper with more pistons may provide slight improvement in braking efficiencies.

Would it be also a good idea to get a rotor, Alcon or 3rd party, to fit with the caliper?

Secondly, will the ABS be affect after BBK is put in?

Thanks for all your thoughts in advance...

As Adam said the ABS won't be affected. As long as your getting a compete BBK it won't make a difference that the rotor size is 2 mm smaller as the rotor, calliper, pad combo will be matched. Although your going smaller, the BBK will have greater breaking force, more aggressive pads so will massively out perform the stock breaks on the S3 which to be fair arnt great, also they will deal with disserpation of heat much better then the stock system and also improve handling due to the huge weight reduction.

If you're going for the Alcon calipers, I'd definitely get their complete kit. I doubt Alcon's warranty would stand good using anything but genuine Alcon rotors. The only thing I would say is that the replacement cost of Alcon rotors is around £700 for a pair of 343x32mm, which was the same size as I had on my previous car (Astra VXR). Their 4 pot kit is amazing though, you won't regret going for it! I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their brakes. :wub: xx

An alternative is the Volkswagen Racing brake kit,which should fit(but check with them first).

just took a look at their site, and all i can say that they have some lovely stuff ther, love the engine mounts and the cold air intake which seems like a new ITG intake that was someone talking about here. Would love one for my car!
VWR TFSI Intake system.jpg

VWR BBK is well worth thinking about as Alex says. Their 6 pot kit is cheaper than the Alcon one and according to some of the guys on here it offers amazing stopping power. Here's some pricing info I received from VWR recently :wub: xx

We have a few different prices for different Big Brake Kit configurations.

As you have aftermarket BBS wheels in 8” rim, then I believe that you need the standard width kit. We haven’t had any direct experience with the CK wheel, but other 8” BBS wheels fit without needing the wide kit. I’ve attached a couple of templates to make 100% sure – if you can print these out, cut around the red line and try them inside your wheels then you can check that the standard width kit will fit. Worst case, you might need a small spacer which we can supply, but I’m pretty certain that the standard kit will fit perfectly.

We offer the 6-pot brake calipers in red as the standard kit, or you choose black, silver or blue for an additional £100 GBP.

The kit comes with everything you need to fit straight onto your car, including Ferodo DS2500 pads, braided steel brake lines and all bolts and fittings. They can be fitted by any competent mechanic.

The prices are below for the different kits:
Standard Kit
Price GBP
Including 20% VAT
Red Calipers
£1,600.00
£1,920.00
Black, Silver, Blue Calipers
£1,650.00
£1,980.00
Wider Kit

Red Calipers
£1,700.00
£2,040.00
Black, Silver, Blue Calipers
£1,800.00
£2,160.00

Reactions: Kelza
As you might have guessed,I've got the VWRacing kit on my car.

I've had Alcon and AP on previous cars and I'd say this is on a par with those.

I also have their semi solid engine mounts....these are pretty hard but not totally solid and they do allow a lot of thrash through compared to the stock mounts,but little or no engine flexing.

Last edited:
There will be no discernible difference in 2mm diameter, that is obviously just 1mm off the radius which is the main leverage factor. The BBK discs will possibly be thicker and that's where a huge performance advantage comes from with extra heat capacity/disipation.

If you're happy with the standard discs I'd look at just buying calipers if they have the right offset perhaps?

would love to see some bigger pics of your car! looks great! brakes are sex.

can i ask, how have you managed to get Pilot Super Sports in 18"??

would love to see some bigger pics of your car! looks great! brakes are sex.

can i ask, how have you managed to get Pilot Super Sports in 18"??

we have it in Hong Kong....