stumpy83

one legged wonder
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the scene and I'm looking for some help please,
I'm looking at buying my first a3 1.8t automatic is there anything I should look out for
That's common faults???

I've seen a few of the face lift ones for about a grand but I have just been
A bit too late :s

So if any know of any going I don't mind traveling

Not heard many good things about the auto boxes, any reason for not wanting manual?

I'm a amputee dvla not to keen on me driving manuals lol

Hi dude welcome to asn. These 1.8t's are pritty solid if maintained (like all cars) but make sure you dont buy one with longlife history or youl probly need the oil pick up changed for peace of mind, that and waterpump done at the right intervals 60k on. Everything else is maintenance like coil packs and split boost and vac pipes. All in all a good motor. As stated the auto has a weak box but thats un avoidable, just check it goes through all the gears and the clutch is ok. Good luck in your choice.

Thanks guys, when you say don't buy one with long life history what do you mean?

Audi introduced AVS (Audi Variable Servicing) some years ago as oppposed to the traditional 10,000 intervals, it was intended to be a longlife service interval but the reality is it ******** many an engine by running the oil far too long between changes, so best avoided, find one thats had the traditional 10,000 intervals Good to see another Plymothian on here.

Nige.

Thanks for that, I've now entered the Audi owners, I picked one up from London, I'll get the details of It up soon and I'll get some pics up
Aswell see what you guys think,

It's a nice purple colour but on the log book states it's blue?

Thanks for that, I've now entered the Audi owners, I picked one up from London, I'll get the details of It up soon and I'll get some pics up
Aswell see what you guys think,

It's a nice purple colour but on the log book states it's blue?

Nice one dude get those pics up :) it might be ming blue, but put the last 3 digits of your full engine code up and people will tell you. Got many plans for the car? Or just going to make it mint?

Wanna tidy it up first convert it to a face lift version, few engine mods, lowered on 18s
And just maintain it really

All I know ATM is its a agu I'll find out tomorrow more details

Looks almost grey on the colour chart, ul have to get some pics up lol

Welcome to ASN. Hope you find the car that your after. Enjoy the forum.

382732_10150555046763109_647028108_10728580_1306912505_n.jpg

Welcome mate, yeh get those facelift lights on - massive improvement when fitted! Good luck with the car :thumbsup:

hey mate not yet waiting for them to come in the post :s

Hi Shaun/Sean, good to meet you today, hope the facia is good for you.

For what you paid for it, the car looks brilliant!¬ That colour is very rare too, and looks great. Serious bargain.

Drop me a list of any other bits you're after and I'll let you know what I've got. If you need any fault scanning or anything whilst I'm still down here let me know too, I don't mind plugging it into VAGCOM to check it over for faults.

Best of luck, enjoy your new car!

Nick

Hey mate,
Very nice to meet you and your farther. Can I text you a list of bits I need please?
That would be awesome mate, I have the snap on solus pro but I think the vagcom would show
Alot more

Shaun

Sure man, just drop me a listed what you need and l see what I've got. We tend to collect a3 parts these days!

The solus will give you codes, it you need logs to really understand how it's running.

Of you find any issues when you get it I shred the. Give me a shout :)

Nice to meet you too chap :)

Couple questions for my a3
1st one is it my eyes playing tricks on me but are the rear arches on an s3 wider than normal??

2nd is it possible to fit cruise control on this year a3 just by fitting a manufacture stalk and programming it??? I have the agu engine non fly
By wire??

Couple questions for my a3
1st one is it my eyes playing tricks on me but are the rear arches on an s3 wider than normal??
Yes the S3 has flared arches

2nd is it possible to fit cruise control on this year a3 just by fitting a manufacture stalk and programming it??? I have the agu engine non fly By wire??
If your car has a throttle cable (non drive by wire) you can't retrofit cruise with just a stalk. The car must be drive by wire to retrofit cruise control.

I've also been advised that converting tit to drive by wire is better for remapping? Is the really worth doing or to much hassle involved?

I may be developing a few issues with my a3 1.8t

Driving along nothing fast just normal say about 40 ish at 2000rpm and I'll get a random
Shudder for about a second then it's smooth...?
It's almost like the noise that your wheels make when the track rod end is warn on breaking? Any ideas not had chan
To look at it yet tbh

2nd prob is when I'm sat and the lights in D there's a slight tapping / knocking noise but it's goes when you drive or put
It into N?

3rd when in N and rev up to about 4000 rpm theres a slight miss fire but I've only noticed it when reving in N

Any help or advice would be great thanks

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. problems sound strange mate, i'll be honest, I can't help out with the directly auto related stuff, as I've never worked on an auto before, but I'd be more than happy to plug it into vagcom next time I'm in town.

as far as DBW/cable throttle goes, ignore them. For what you're looking for, a map on the standard ECU is more than adequate, hell, it powers many stage 2 ko3S cars to 230bhp happily enough, and there are probably far more big turbo AGU lumps out there any any other at the moment, simply because of the age and cost of the cars becoming more available to a certain type of person (~the kind that wants to do big mods but not on a new car!)

sorry I've not got back to you about that little list you sent me! Been flat out busy this week. Will take a look at the other car tomorrow and drop you a line before those seats end on ebay.

Hope all is well

Nick