JOM Coilover reviews.

pandoo1

Reaction score
Anyone got these?
What are they like?...my garage told me they are the worst coilovers to get as they just ruin the ride.

Thanks

A3 - Tims, a post a few down on the 8p forum has got joms fitted. He seems pretty happy with them in comparison to others hes had.You could always ask him for some advice.

The assumption is they're cheap so they must be nasty, but 90% of the reviews inc. myself say otherwise. I've run Koni, KW and FK at up 4x the cost, and granted they aren't 'quite' as comfy when decked, (I drive mainly motorway and A road so this doesn't affect me really anyway) but they are not 'that' different and far from terrible. Basically for getting low on a budget I think they're a steal, I just wish the fronts went a touch lower tbh.

So you'd say the ride isn't too bad or anything? How would you compare it to the standard suspension? For things like comfort etc?
I actually have these in my room not fitted as yet though.

So you'd say the ride isn't too bad or anything? How would you compare it to the standard suspension? For things like comfort etc?
I actually have these in my room not fitted as yet though.

I remember driving back from the garage with them wound to half way thinking I can't tell any difference from stock, except the cars stiffer round corners. Wound right down you feel a lot more bumps and they are firmer for sure, but that's fairly inevitable with any coilovers as you go lower and reduce the travel of the damper. If it bothered me I'd wind them up a bit.

How low do you want to go? If you want to hard slam it and need as much comfort as possible I'd be looking at Koni's or KW's, but then they're 4x the price (They wont be 4x as comfy though).

I don't really agree with the 'you get what you pay for' comment that gets banded around, as they aren't 4x as crap as a set of £800 Koni's.

Last edited:
They are not bad,the only problem is how long they're gonna last!
If you live here where i do (bumpy roads all the time) the suspension
will be knackered sooner or later!

They are not bad,the only problem is how long they're gonna last!
If you live here where i do (bumpy roads all the time) the suspension
will be knackered sooner or later!

Agreed. That said, I do 7k a year and drive on smooth (ish) roads most of time so not an issue for me
wink.gif

When I first had mine fitted, I was impressed.

There was a little more road noise but for the first time it felt like I could 'feel' what was going on at the front end round bends.

Ride was a touch firmer than S line but felt good.

If they hadn't caused me major probs with knocking at the front (poss a heavy 3.2 V6 issue), I'd still have mine on.

From memory, I think they come with a 2 year warranty, which is good.

Unfortunately, I fall into the category of many that have had issues with JOMS.

If you can squeeze a bit more cash, or save a bit longer, I would spend a bit more on something else.

Just my opinion from my own experience.

Reactions: warren_S5 and pinterovski
Well said Wez, I've not rode on JOMs so not in a position to comment, all of my opinions regarding products are based on experience :wub:

Reactions: pinterovski
So you'd say its worth fitting? And wouldnt really break my back over speed bumps?

Surely your going slowly over speedbumps whether lowered or not!?

Its badly maintained, bumpy, holey roads that will be the thing of concern if a stiffer ride bothers you.

they are good for the money.go low enough and make a difference compared to standard.only problems I've had is knocking at the front which I believe is down to worn top mounts

they are good for the money.go low enough and make a difference compared to standard.only problems I've had is knocking at the front which I believe is down to worn top mounts

I had knocking at the front but my top mounts were brand new.

My problem was that JOMS are 50mm strut fitting.

My struts are 55mm and needed the included shims to be fitted, these shims do not lock onto the strut and no matter how tight the bolts were, there was movement.

Below are pics of what the alignment centre discovered when they removed the JOM's

Here's the pic with the shim still on

IMG_2397.jpg

And here's a pic with the shim removed

IMG_2395.jpg

Im looking at putting Joms on my 1999 S3 Quattro can i use the standard Arb links on these or would i need shorter ones ?

Was very sceptical about coilovers but after these cant fault them,and the ride is really good even though my car is slammed at the front and you get the stance you want unlike springs
Not sure how good the ride on budget coilovers will be tho

Talking about quality issues.' I bought weitec Hicon TX for £670 which was meant to be top of the range coilovers manufactured by KW and just as the two year warrantee ran out the fronts struts started to leak while the front was bouncing like hell. Customer service was rubbish, KW said they couldnt do anything.
Bearing in mind it was only two weeks out of warrantee.
I hate when People say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ", having not tested JOM.
IT SOUNDS SILLY TO SAY THAT.
I suppose I 'GOT WHAT I PAID FOR' spending £670 for weitec.
For JOM to put two years warrantee on this product means something.
I will take my chance and buy JOM rather than stupid sh1tty KW or weitec.

Last edited:
8p
Just got new coilovers for my 8p tdi back sit great

Front I have wound down to the bottom and still have a arch gap
Anyone else got these on there cars?
Settle time how long ?

Want it with no gap really any help ?

Most people go to FK's due to the smaller spring up front.

You'd probably be best looking at timG's thread as he swapped out his joms for some fk's.

But the place I got them from said quartto on box I said mine isn't that found another a3 with Jom on front plus I've had them before and they went lower than that so I'm convinced they sold me wrongs one and have email them