Lcr quick rack on a3

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Hi all im after some quick answers please, how easy is to to fit a quick rack? Does it take a good knowledge and access to a ramp? Iv done wishbones before, also how easy is the lcr hubs to fit? If its beyond my talents then i shall get a mechanic to do it, and in that case how many hours should it take them?

Thanks for all help as i would like to have it all done by the weekend.

Cheers Ad.

it's dead simple really mate, just simple spanner work.

on the drive I'd allow 2 hours to do the rack, and whilst it's in bits, another hour or so to swap the hubs over.

If you set aside an afternoon you should easily crack it on the drive with axle stands and basic tools.

Ok prawn thanks for the info, would the lcr quick rack be a strait swap or would i need diffrent bolts and anti roll links? Are there anygood how to guides about or is it just refer to the haynes manual job? Thanks again.

With the rack, when it is fitted make a conscious effort to NOT go flying onto full lock. I have done it a couple of times when going from different cars, and I get in mine and forget its a turn shorter than a lot of other vehicles and smash it onto full lock!

Is £70 for 2 lcr hubs and £70 for two wishbones and £50 for the quick rack all 2nd hand in good nick worth the money?

How many turns is it klappe? Isnt it 2.7 for the Lcr QR and 3.5 for standard? Im sure i dont get 3.5 turns but i dont know where to start counting from?lol

that price is good yes, and your right, it's 3.5 turns from lock to lock.

From static, turn the wheel FULLY to one side, and note it's position. you'll then find you can turn it 3.5 complete turns until it hits the other lock., so it's 1.75 turns from centre to lock each way.

On the 2.7 quick rack, it's only 1.35 turns each way to hit full lock.

Make sure you don't spin the wheel whilst the rack is off, as a precautionary I'd pull the key out and put the steering lock on.

jardo thought it'd be fun to see how many times he could spin my wheel when I fitted my first quick rack, and surprise surprise, he broke the clock spring!

that price is good yes, and your right, it's 3.5 turns from lock to lock.

From static, turn the wheel FULLY to one side, and note it's position. you'll then find you can turn it 3.5 complete turns until it hits the other lock., so it's 1.75 turns from centre to lock each way.

jardo thought it'd be fun to see how many times he could spin my wheel when I fitted my first quick rack, and surprise surprise, he broke the clock spring!

Teehee I was so confused at what I had broken!

it became pretty obvious when we fired it up and it had no horn and the airbag light was on!

Much more expensive mistake on an AUM though as the clock spring also contains the steering angle sensor

Oh iv done that before, i replaced the steering collum and when putting the ribbon back in i manged to snap it from turning it whilst it was in the wrong place! Doh (only on an mg zr so not that bad to sort)

Tbf im only concidering this as iv sorted a few issues for free and have abit of spare cash to spend.

I was looking to sell up but i only paid £1800 for my car and its got a few of the great bits from the s3. And when looking at the market and realised i wouldnt even get that for my car i thought why not spend about £5-700 max on just tarting it up.

I havent had a chance to read your whole thread prawn as its got a stupid amount of pages lol but do you know the page numbers of any highlights in there?