Audi A3 2.0 TDI (140) 1st gear?

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
Hi peeps. Dont normally start new threads but there's a first time for everything lol. Basically i bought a 06 Audi A3 2.0 TDI (140) about 5 months ago, the car is great has crusise control, climate control, rear parking sensors, automatic headlights/wipers & a 6 speed manual gearbox. The only thing that is bugging me is when i pull away in 1st gear it seems very sluggish, the turbo doesn't kick in at all & then when i change into 2nd the turbo instantly kicks in & the same for every other gear. Is this normal?

Thanks for the quick reply RedDejavu. Well that is the thing all my past cars have been petrol, i honestly never thought i would ever buy a TDI i've always been a petrol fan, but soon as i test drove the car i fell in love with it. The thing that is bugging me is that my work van (which by the way is a council van cos i'm a lazy council worker lol) is a vauxhall combo 1.3 cdti which is limited to 62 bloddy mph! Even though it is limited the turbo fires up in 1st gear and fairly shifts through the gears (until 62 mph lol). Just seems strange that a vauxhalls turbo spins in first gear but not on a audi?

Last edited:
I have a 140 DSG and thats the same. Changes to 2nd very early too. Still love it though - just need to get used to the power delivery, which is, how shall I put it -very different from the TVR.

you just need a heavier right foot or a stage1 remap thats should do the trick

iirc the turbo on our TDI Audi's kick in at around 2500 RPM so that explains why we get the lag...
powering down in first isnt too good for the gearbox anyway.