DMF Conversion. Yes or no?

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
I have had a little search on here but the search facility is not working well, hence asking a question i know hasd been asked a million times before. Got a saloon, NON quattro, 1.8 Petrol, BFB engine. I am shopping around for prices to get the clutch as I think its imminent. I am costing in the flywheel as well in case. the garage my dad uses has asked if i want to continue with a DMF or covert to single mass if indeed I do need the flywheel replaced.
I have seen posts in the past but didnt absorb the responses as i wasnt looking at the time.

Anyone converted to single mass and what are your thoughts? Any reasons I shouldnt do this? Pro's and cons please!

Ta muchly !

Whats the mileage?I would wait to see what its like but if its gone why not stay DMF if it has been OK so far?

I was gonna go single mass flywheel when my clutch started to slip. In the end I just replaced the clutch and the dmf with standard items.

Mileage is 90k. I will only get it changed if it needs it but I need to decide which route to take in advance so i know what to do when we cross that bridge.
Any positives or negatives to converting to a single would be really appreciated................

On a petrol engine is ok to switch to a qulity SMF and clutch - Valeo does a really good conversion. I used one of these kits to a 1.9 tdi and the feel was just like stock but the gearsick would wibrate a little in neutral with the engine hot. Pitty i just sold a brand new Valeo conversion kit to a chap on uk passats for £270 , it was the strongest one they do for a 115 PD vw passat/audi a4 with the AJM engine code ! I paid £390 for the kit from ECP 1.5 weeks ago prior getting the Southbend clutch and SMF that Jcb/Ed was selling in the clasifieds !
DSCF3791.jpg

DSCF3790.jpg

I would stick with the DMF, there is probably a good reason why Audi fitted them as standard rather than a SMF item..... that's a personal thought though.....

Im personally not into these solid conversions, Ive fitted one in the past for a customer, but it gave problems after a bit. Std dual mass all the way.

DMF is fitted for comfort really and has nothing to do with performance so if you do not intend to upgrade the power of the engine then the DMF is ok...