spongy brakes

DerekC

Reaction score
Hey guys. A bit stuck fitted new pads + disks and bled the system, but there is still a feeling of like a inch of spongyness(don't think that is a word but ah well)in the pedal. Now when I bled the brakes there was no more air coming out just fluid and after a long drive I noticed one of the brakes (n/s/r) was a lot hotter than the rest. Have I screwed something up somewhere. The car really does stop well but the pedal feel is horrible. Any clues?
Cheers Derek

well the garage changed my rear brake lines and it didn't feel good after that really but she hasn't moved much in the last month just to the garage and back. Sounds stupid to say this but how to I bled/ find the master cylinder?

Maybe try jacking up the rear with the handbrake off to see if the caliper piston is sticking on. That could make them feel a bit spongey if you've got a molten brake pad against the disk.

Exactly what happened to mine after changing a rear brake line. In the end I took it to Audi who gave me the car back after 4 hours because they couldn't bleed it.

Go home and bled the MC and it was absolutely fine.

Look down near the brake fluid reservoir. The MC has two nipples on it, open one at a time to bleed.

If you have access to VAG-COM it might be work cycling the ABS pump after that, it seemed to help with my brakes after a bleed.