front s line grill

jonnysimm

jonnysimm
Reaction score
hi everyone again just wanted some opinions ive just got the s line bumper for my 04 a3 i am goin to spray the crome ring on the grill black because i like the look but was thinking is it worth spraying the hole grill instead? im sure that the new 2011 grill are sprayed black so this is where i have had this idea.

is this a split grill? i just tackled mine the other day to wrap it in viynl which was a task, not only to warp but was tricky as hell to get the chrome off of the grill itself . . .. have patients :D

it was the split but now its the one big grill ive already got it off got to spray the bumper yet lol. but i dont know weather to just spray the hole thing the crome surround and the girll.

The Black Edition grilles are not sprayed. They are made that way fella. What colour your car? Any photos?

o right well im plannig on spraying it black i think it should look good ill try and get some pictures on here my car is lava grey dark grey/black.

well im guessing that is ur car in the pic on ur post. im getting some of that gun smoke tint on my lights like you think that looks really good. cant wait to have it all done.

You're doing the grille conversion right? You fitted it yet? Because you do know you need a new bonnet aswell?

yeh im changing my standard 04 to s line 08 and yeh i know i need a new bonnet aleady got one off e bay £100 off and s3 bargin :icon_thumright: but thanks any ways. getting it all sprayed this sunday and fitting monday aslong as the weather is alright. my mate said it easy to do will take bout 2 hours ?

Yea if you know what youre doing the fitting is no issue, took me about 2 hours but had to be delicate due to one of the corners being plastic welded, i just got the standard conversion but i wish i went sline, maybe i'l try it in a few month, good luck and post some pictures of when its finished

ill post them as soon as its done and worked out how to post them. cant wait to get it all on it like being a kid again at xmas ha ha.

Can you split the chrome surround/edge from the rest of the grille easily? As I want to paint the chrome anthracite grey...

yes you can split it but it does have a lot of clips on it the best way to get to it is take the bumper off so you can get to it properly or try and take the grill off but it would hard. hope this helps i only know this because everthing is off my car at the moment.

I've got the single grille already, and its seperated from the bumper. I had a quick look and it looks hard to split the chrome surround off, might give it a go when im feeling brave!

yeh it does look hard to do lol good luck tho. im just getting the whole thing sprayed tomoz black so should look good saves me trying to take it off.

yeh it does look hard to do lol good luck tho. im just getting the whole thing sprayed tomoz black so should look good saves me trying to take it off.

Well the actual plan was to paint the black plastic bits in a subtle satin black, and have the chrome vinyl wrapped in an anthracite grey (to match my wheels) if i could take it off easily. So I might do a similar thing to you and paint it all together, maybe just try to mask off the chrome.

well what ever you end up doing im sure it will look good ill put some pics up on here when ive had mine done so you can make a choice on what you want to do.

whatever you do to the grill surround make sure you wrap it, its very tough to get paint to take to the plastic, mine ended up flaking off after a while

alright mate thanks for that i am getting it done at a proper paint shop and i know the lad so hopefully everything should be ok but if not ill prob end up posting something on here lol.

Pictures when finished buddy!

Also let us know how it goes with the difficulty of spraying the surround etc as im unsure and i might just buy the surround in gloss black.

getting the grille off is a ****** put my sport one on my sline bumper takes patients some snips a flat srewdriver and some curadge

So you dont actually have to take the bumper off to remove the grill as ive taken the bumper off before to fit xenon headlights and that was a faff on pretty easy but time consuming.

Is it easy to attch the new grill?

Is there any guides?

shiggins i think you have to still take the bumper off to get the grill off mate , a lad next to me has just had the chrome bits on his bmw just done black and it looks like a canny job. said the painter gave the chrome bits a good sanding down first . i want mine done just dont know wheather to just buy optic grill of just spray it and if the chrome bit flakes just buy black surround

ill put some pics on as soon as i have done it. cant wait. ha ha and that is what my plan is spray it black and if it starts to chip ill just buy the black surround for audi. but i would say take the bumper off if you want to try and get the chrome surround off because it isnt easy getting the grill off the bumper with that off the car never mind the chrome surround. lol