Remap - before or after fitting TIP and DV

Phil-UK

Reaction score
Hi.. I'm planning to get a remap done on my A4 1.8T Sport Avant (B6). I've also been reading that many of you have replaced the OEM TIP and diverter valve with aftermarket units. e.g. Forge\Awesome\Samco\etc...

From what I have read and understood is, it seems my standard 163 bhp engine is happy with the OEM kit but after remapping it would benefit from a silicone TIP and better DV. So, my question is... should I fit these new components before the remap so that the remap can take these new items into account, or does it not make any difference?

I will be going for a Celtic remap as they are about 1.5 hours from me and if you go to them they will Rolling Road it before and after for the same price. They quote from 163/166 to 213/255 (bhp/ft lbs). With these figures in mind will I benefit from a silicone TIP and a new DV?

Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Phil

I'd always buy the aftermarket components before getting a remap, if it's a custom map they do then they'll be able to take any mods into consideration and further tweak air/fuel mixtures if the engine seems to be benefiting from a better more smoother flowing TIP.

Have to thought about an aftermarket air filter as well? Whether it be a performance panel filter or an induction kit? That could also help gain a couple of horses, same goes for an aftermarket exhaust system such as a milltek, if your engine is getting more air into it it needs to also get rid of it faster. If I had a petrol turbo then these mods are what I'd do before a remap every time to get the most out of the engine, but if you can't afford those extra bits or don't want them for any reason then you'll still see a brilliant gain from what you plan to do.

Last edited:
Thanks Az,

I've just fit a new air filter, only a paper type though as not too keen on the oily MAF problems people seem to encounter. I reckon changing a paper filter regulary will be almost as good. I may go for a Green Cotton filter though as these aren't oiled.

The performance exhaust was something that entered my mind but soon left it again after seeing the price. A remap I can see the benefits of... £300ish to go from 163/166 to 213/255 is good bang for the buck. The exhaust system however I don't see the value in it for the money.

So I think for me it's new TIP & DV fitted on a nice sunny day, then down to Cornwall for a remap. It should be a nice drive back home after that's done : )

You will need to fit a recirculating DV before the remap to handle the increase in boost pressure, forge 007p is the one i am currently running, i would also recommend getting a panel filter, pipercross are about £30 and make a massive difference.

As for your performance figures i would be sceptical, i have the 1.8T 190 which is now stage 2 remap and is 230bhp, i would say that stage 1 on yours will be between 180 - 190 max. To increase it anymore you would need exhaust, high flow cat, possibly fuel injectors and maybe an improved intercooler unless yours has dual side mounted intercoolers like the 190's

Satge 1 map on these engines makes a massive difference and you will have a fun drive home

As for your performance figures i would be sceptical, i have the 1.8T 190 which is now stage 2 remap and is 230bhp, i would say that stage 1 on yours will be between 180 - 190 max. To increase it anymore you would need exhaust, high flow cat, possibly fuel injectors and maybe an improved intercooler unless yours has dual side mounted intercoolers like the 190's

But dont you get a read out of before & after showing 200bhp+ or would'nt it say 180-190BHP.

Cheers Jay

Lots of companies say you can get an extra 30- 40bhp with a remap but you can't look at the big companies like revo, normally you will get a max of about 15 maybe 20bhp stage 1, stage 2 you get more but your looking at spending probably another £1000 for exhaust, high flow cat etc, and even then you'll be lucky to get an extra 20 bhp. Some do dyno runs to prove some don't

According to Revo they say I will get 195/225 from the remap which is probably more realistic. Revo are now doing a stage 1 remap for £199+ (1 month sale now on) so I have booked in my car for next Tuesday. Can't believe the price : )