Expected gains peoples :) ..

JonBoi25

Reaction score
Howdy,

Looking to do the folloowing on the s3 8l could you give your oppinion on the gains ill achieve :):

- Milltek system or similar
- Badger 5 tip and cone filter
- heat shield for cone
- N249 bypass
- I/C sprayer kit for standard I/C's at the moment but may uprgrade to a FMIC :)
- Remap - at this point im not sure if ill be eligable for a St2 remap but if so that will be the choice, if not st1 remap.

Thanks in advance, and if theres any other small tweeks avaiable for a few more BHP please let me know :)

Cheers. Jon

My understandings are:

-The N249 bypass doesnt increase power at all, it just improves dv response.
-The heatshield will not improve power directly but will help reduce heat shoak.
-Personally i think the ic spray is a waste of time on the standard intercoolers.
-From a milltek there are very little if any gains to be had other than an improved look and sound.
-The Badger 5 tip and jetex filter is an excellent upgrade, i have them on my s3 and it totally transformed the way the car drives, tests have shown gains of up to 19hp over standard tip and airbox.
-Remap is the best way to improve power for the money and makes the biggest improvement to the way the car drives, you wont be able to have a stage 2 map until you have an FMIC and 3 inch downpipe and cat back exhaust.

Think the above is right but please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks for the reply,
I have the impression that every little helps! lol.. Tests at work show that I/C sprayers can get around a 1HP for every 100Hp of your engine for every 10 degrees you knock the temp down, by rule of thumb. So chaps at work seem to think if i can drop the charge temp down by 10-20 degress could see a 2-4 HP! :) i know your thinking its not much but its something.

ill deffo be going with the TIP, any ideas of the best exhaust to go for ? with 3" downpipe?

Thanks again ,

- Milltek system or similar

Turbo spool improvement, unlikely to give much in regard to BHP gains.

- Badger 5 tip and cone filter

Depends on engine and level of tune. Will give gains without doubt, but how much is hard to judge. Normally 5 BHP upwards.

- heat shield for cone

No gains at all.

- N249 bypass

No gains at all unless it has a vac leak there.

- I/C sprayer kit for standard I/C's at the moment but may uprgrade to a FMIC :)

IC sprayer on the SMICs = waste of time IMO. Don't waste your time. Either get WMI fitted or go for a good front mount,

- Remap - at this point im not sure if ill be eligable for a St2 remap but if so that will be the choice, if not st1 remap.

You will be needing stage 1. 3" downpipe a must really for stage 2. With the B5 TIP on stock hardware, expect up to 265 BHP max.

Reactions: JonBoi25
IC sprayer on the SMICs = waste of time IMO. Don't waste your time. Either get WMI fitted or go for a good front mount,

You will be needing stage 1. 3" downpipe a must really for stage 2. With the B5 TIP on stock hardware, expect up to 265 BHP max.

Thanks for the reply there,

excuse my ignorance but what does WMI stand for ?
are you suggesting that if i change nothing but the TIP and get a stage 2 thats around 265BHP ?

Cheers

Speedy Steve !

:) please can you enlighten me on how you acheived 314 BHP ??..

Thank you please :)

Water methanol injection, if you change nothing but the TIP and get a stage 1 map you could be looking at c. 265bhp dependant upon your cars mechanical condition.

A stage 2 map will take account of a 3 inch downpipe and a front mount generally.

Speedy Steve !

:) please can you enlighten me on how you acheived 314 BHP ??..

Thank you please :)

Hybrid k04, Im going to fins some useful links for you to read.

Reactions: JonBoi25
Stupid mac.

They are in no particular order but loads of useful info!

Last edited:
You'll struggle to get much more that 280bhp from a stage 2 K04 too. If you want over 300bhp you'll need to change the turbo.

+1 and even then the delivery is not going to be as good as it will be from another turbo.

Basically save your self a wad and just go Big turbo straight away lol

Cheers for the commenst guys and posting up the links Dane :thumbsup:,

Could someone tell me about the WMI please >?

No worries :thumbsup:

Basically save your self a wad and just go Big turbo straight away lol

Even after all the issues experienced lately, I don't 100% agree with that.

It really depends on what it is you are after IMO.

Running a hybrid at 22 PSI yeilding over 300 BHP is enough for some people lets be fair. If it is, and you can get a good blower, then hybrid is ideal for that.

Not everyone is after beserk power levels....

I like my 270ish reliable power. I'll let you know how it is on the track once i've got a few track days under my belt. If driven well enough I will be able to keep up with a fair few more powerful cars.

Even after all the issues experienced lately, I don't 100% agree with that.

It really depends on what it is you are after IMO.

Running a hybrid at 22 PSI yeilding over 300 BHP is enough for some people lets be fair. If it is, and you can get a good blower, then hybrid is ideal for that.

Not everyone is after beserk power levels....

True - I wasn't being very serious, every ones different.

My thoughts on going BT are I dont want a garrett just for the mental power levels I want one because they, appear to, just work - no housing issues etc. but then again am I going to be satisfied, long term, with c. 350 brake from a 28... probably not, so it kind of make sense in my head to go bigger to begin with. :)