3.2 DSG 'Tapping' Noise

lph0983

Reaction score
Hi, my 2005 A3 3.2 DSG Sportback has developed a tapping noise under acceleration at low speeds. The noise goes away once in 3rd or 4th. It will go as soon as the car is put in neutral on the move and is also less noisy if you change gear manually with the paddles.

Has anybody ever had a similar problem to this??

Ive just been told by the garage that its the gearbox differential which is causing the noise! not what i was hoping...

Oh ****** hell !! bad luck mate :( what is it with these 3.2's !! they seem to have fail built into them.

Was a shock..

Dont know if that means i have to get a new gearbox as it still works perfectly except for the noise in early acceleration. No other searches im doing of the internet seems to find others with this similar problem.

I presume the Garage checked the oil level in the box/dif ?

I assume so, but ive booked the car in for a full diagnostic check. Saying that would a problem like this show up on this?

Fault diagnosis is only going to find elec problems so i doubt it. Just have to see what they say.

I had my DSG (2.0 tdi) fully re-built after an input shaft started to whine on pull away,
There is a much longer story of the battle I had with audi UK as the car had only done 60k but was out of warranty.

Had it repaired at , A1 Premier Transmissions Ltd in Biggleswade,
I'd speak to them.....

Thanks for that i will do. Biggleswade isnt too far for me.

When you say you had your DSG fully rebuilt does that mean that you didnt have to replace? I assumed that the box would have to be swapped as soon as any component goes..

I had my original box re-built, new input shaft, all new bearings/seals and an 18 month warranty.
That was 9000 miles ago and it's still all good.

Audi will only replace, at around 4k!

It took it to three Audi dealers before one correctly diagnosed the problem, they are only fitters, not mechanics.

Hmmm i think mine may have used to do that - mainly when then engine was cold. It's gone away now so maybe yours will too?
Also had my car serviced recently which may have helped

Update: Garage have said that a bearing(s) in the gearbox have gone. Has anybody else have this go on their DSG's??

At least the garage has told me they can repair so will not have to replace the box..