Help, I think I've BROKEN my engine

L4V15

Reaction score
I had a full service done on the s3 about a month ago. Since then every so often the oil light will come on, on the screen. It only happens when the engine is really hot and if I've been driving in really hard or taking corners hard etc. I asked a decent car garage to check it out and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Yesterday the same thing happened again after the driving hard around a bendy road. But after the oil light came on the engine started making a racket. It's rattling really loudly and idling really badly etc. I didnt want to drive home like it so I left it at the garage near by. Does anybody have any idea whether my engine needs replacing or what it could be? A bit tuned so maybe under strain? The oil level has always been fine aswel. Steve

I agree with andrew same thing happened to me, im in the process of a rebuild

boollloooccckkks. Yea it sounds exactly like that. The inside of the head did look very dry. How much are we talking to replace it or rebuild it? Thanks for the replies

Definately as stated above. One of the guys at work had it happen to him about a year back. Symptoms just the same as yours

before condemming the engine, drop off the sump and check the oil pickup pipe for being blocked..
, then reassemble and check physical oil pressure..

chances are AVS in its earlier years has caused severe sludging/carbon build up and flakes of this have clogged the oil pickup pipe..

Its not necessarily a full engine rebuild.. It happened to a friend of mine about a year ago and he replaced the oil pump and chain tensioner and his was fine. I dont know if its just me but im sure this is getting more and more common? Most of the people i know with 1.8ts have had some sort of oil starvation problem. I have had it twice now, as said above check oil pickup, that sorted it the first time for me.

Audi's in the main suffer from this more as Audi had Variable Service (AVS) which meant in real terms 20,000mile oil changes, which is why they are coked up and sludged up badly.. Madness by Audi.. suicide for the engine long term.

ok yea I'll do that. The engine sounds well knackered though. Pretty sure it will be a replacement. Hope not though. I wish id asked you lot about the oil light thing before it happened.

Audi's in the main suffer from this more as Audi had Variable Service (AVS) which meant in real terms 20,000mile oil changes, which is why they are coked up and sludged up badly.. Madness by Audi.. suicide for the engine long term.

Since my engine rebuild i change my oil every 5k miles ( maybe excessive ) not cheap with the oil S3 use but hay i know its going to be safe

yep sump off and check the pickup, if not it will be the pump, you may be lucky and the engine could be fine, depends how long the engine was exposed to non lube...

i smashed my sump the other day, when replacin it i took of the oil pickup to clean it out. im suprised i was getting any oil going through there! was mega bad and blocked!