PIAA DRL Bulb blown up.

DaztheGuv

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, hope theres some helpful people out there?

I fitted some miror white PIAA bulbs to my DRL's yesterday, and woke this morning, started engine to be greeted by a bulb failiure light, so I checked out the bulb and found that the bulb (including glass) had blown up!
This is where I need help, how can I get all the glass out of the headlight unit?
Thanks,

Daz.

i had these before i fitted my piaa drls and there not too bad but piaa are far better and i know a website where they sell piaa drl xtreme white for £13

When you fitted them, did you make sure you didn't get any fingerprints/dirt on the glass?

Thanks for the comments, used some tissue paper to handle them, put them in then, warning light. Got in touch with PIAA they sending me a replacement out, suggested I used a hoover to get the glass out, ****** off = understatement. :-(

feel for you mate, that is a **** take of a job to get the glass out of there! i would seriously recommend you get the headlight off the car and do it thoroughly, last thing you need is the glass just rattling around in there.

If you tape a Hoover attachment to the hole the bulb fits through it might well work provided the light itself is not airtight, otherwise you may well burn out the Hoover motor

Could go for LED nextime maybe im arranging a groupbuy shortly for these canbus led compatible ones they even dim too.

2857-img-0098.JPG

Sorry to hear this happened with your PIAA bulb, Daz. :( As the guys have already said, it looks like you'd be best removing your headlight to try and get all the pieces of glass out of the light shroud. It's unbelievable how easily scratched the reflective areas of the inside of headlights are, so try to be as gentle as you can when shaking the bits out. If you find there are bits which are hard to remove, use a long screwdriver or telescopic tool with some sticky tape wrapped round the end, so the glass will stick to it. :)

Paulie

^^^ where did you get them from :eek: and they dim? for the later headlight?

I run a car lighting company and ive had them made up by the factory ive go 30 sets coming over shortly and il be arranging a groupbuy for folk.

I had this myself, didn't. Fit them properly and they shattered when I tried to take out. Spent many hours with the lighting unit out with a hoover and an old coat hanger with some double sided tape trying to get all the remnants out. Take your time and you should be able to get it all out.

I thought about taking out the unit but it was too much hassle and you can't take the unit apart.

typical PIAA... as reliable as cheap bulbs. just dont wash the headlight out. bumper of jobby! good luck

I put some in Friday and today the right side light has done the same but I got all the glass out with a small twig from a tree and lots of sticky tape took me about 20 mins or so as there wasn't many small pieces .
Iv email the company of eBay but as yet no reply .

Got the gass out using welding rod and gaffer tape, just left with little bits of dust now... Can cope with that. :rock:

Got the gass out using welding rod and gaffer tape, just left with little bits of dust now... Can cope with that. :rock:

did you touch the bulb with your fingers or did you or did you use some paper towl to handle the bulb .
and did you get yours from ebay ?

This has just happened to me today and really pished me off...!!

I have had PIAA DRLs fitted to my S3 for the last 2 years but today had a warning light come regarding blown bulb and traced it to the drivers side DRL. When i tried to remove the bulb it shattered inside of the headlight unit so now i have bits of shattered glass rolling around. I was trying to find out if i could take the unit apart but it seems not judging by the threads i've read. I also don't want to have to remove the front bumper etc, i'm not very 'hands-on'.

Is the best solution then to try to either hoover the glass out or attach tape or something to a screw driver and fish it out that way..?

Many Thanks