Audi S3 - 2002 - instructions for changing brake discs and pads

agedog

Reaction score
Hi All.
Im not much of a mechanic, however am considering changing the discs and pads on my 02 S3 myself.
Could anyone advise where I could find a step by step (with pics) preferably instructions to carry this out and an idea of the tools required to complete? It this an resonably easy job? Or would you suggest paying a mechanic to do this?

Also just bought a pipercross induction kit, I assume this is reletively easy to fit? Does anyone have an experience with these Piper cross kits? Are effective etc?

Thanks all.

From the TT forum

That guide seems a bit a long winded way to do it. No need to separate the caliper from the carrier or remove the clip.

That guide seems a bit a long winded way to do it. No need to separate the caliper from the carrier or remove the clip.

Well,do a better one then :thumbsup:

Reactions: rhubarb4
I removed my pads and re-fitted them recently without removing the clip and carrier. Just requires removing the two main 17/18mm bolts to remove the complete caliper and then prying the pads towards each other and they just slot out.

Obviously my clip is either broken or something else

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess it's possible to do it this way, but you would need 2 pair of hands, how else would you have supported the weight of the caliper and carrier whilst extracting your old brake pads off? Please tell me you didn't rely on the brake hose to support the weight, that's the work of a cowboy.

You want to remove the caliper seperately, so you can clean, inspect and regrease the slider pins,
and also clean the part where the brake pads slide along the carrier, then put some copper grease on it, which would be more difficult with them still both attached.

I removed my pads and re-fitted them recently without removing the clip and carrier. Just requires removing the two main 17/18mm bolts to remove the complete caliper and then prying the pads towards each other and they just slot out.

stop being lazy and do it properly!
do you work at kwik fit??
the pad guides need cleaning of dust and a quick dance over with a file to remove corrosion then a light smear of copper slip... to ensure the new pads dont seize in the runners and they will wear evenly.

Removing the clip and then the caliper is the correct way to change the pads...

<tuffty/>

where do you get caliper paint from , and what is a good heat resisting make, i'm looking for Yellow

where do you get caliper paint from , and what is a good heat resisting make, i'm looking for Yellow
Talk about a thread bump!

Have you tried looking at a website belonging to Halfords?

any paint will do for the calipers, just make sure everything is clean and you prime them first. I did mine 5 or 6 years ago in a graphite colour and its never spoilt, think it was pug graphite grey lol just picked from halfrauds 3 for 2 offer wanted a subtle dark colour.

Help! lol.
iv got as far as taking the disc off but theres a wheel spacer hiding the screw.
cant get it to budge!
any idea how i can free it up...
Paul

yesss! hammer time!!

ok iv got it off....

might have a problem though... the screw wasnt actually holding the rotor on.
its sheared off!

im not able to tap n die myself. is the screw vital?

:thumbsup:
Cheers Westy
cheers Reesy
id better crack on. i took the wheel off at 8am.

Sorry fella but if you need instructions on how to change disc and pads then you shouldnt be doing it, dodgy brakes cost lives.

My advice would be find someone who knows what they are doing and lend a hand, best way to learn, not by spanners in one hand manual in the other !!

its ok mate. dont worry.
iv done the watching bit enough times. its a piece of ****. i just needed guidance rather than me cause damage.
its only takin so long because im having to strip a stupid amount of paint off them.
looks like prev owner diddnt fancey strippin em. he just painted over somebody elses job.

Nice !!
Just what you want that is, see where ya coming from now, piece a **** once ya done it once.
All i would say is watch ya hoses, both my front and rear (offside & nearside), the pipes split at the caliper where it goes into the metal connector, one of em came off simple but the other took hours as it tried to snap the under body brake pipe, not fun!!

Ouch! 2 hrs doesnt sound like fun.
Cheers, i'll keep an eye on them.

Heres one side nearly done (if theres no picture below. im blaming this computor)

I'll might do the rest when my clothes have dryed. its ****** tipping it down lol.

Cheers! They're EBC 3GD Front Sport Rotors
Fleebay jobie
With EBC ultimax pads.
Most cost efective decent upgrade i found