DIRTY REAR!!

Welch

Reaction score
thought you would look you bunch of tarts!!! : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just a quick one really but in this weather the back of the S3 gets really minging as does the vision out of the rear window.

I guess a lot has got to do with the shape of the car but can mud guards at the rear help prevent this?

has anyone got any rear guards or know where to get some.

Many thanks
NLW

A3 rear mudflaps fit both the front and rear of an S3, even thought the dealers say not!

i kinda like the 'been rallying' look...well at least until i have to actually shut the boot after remote opening...dirty rear AND filthy hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's a mare and especially on a dark car. Been stopped twice by coppers asking me to clean the number plate...annoyance is that I only cleaned it a few days ago.

Damn you british weather.

I have rear mudflaps on my TS and it does help, The back is a lot cleaner than the golf we have at work which does not have them.

Cheers for the Pic.

These look quite good on black, I'm not sure they would so good on my Noggy S3 though. It might spoil the back-end, unless they are colour coded, which = ££££.

I quite like mudflaps on cars... They make the car look lower in my opinion!

Rich.

Have a look on Ade_D post about Brembos fitted. Theres a pic of David_R's noggy with mudflaps on, they look okay! Ill be intersted in them Imola S3 but only one set (2 mudflaps).

They are £30 from the dealers for 1 set!

I will have a set and well done to that man Imola S3 that suggested we do a group buy.

I think it is very much to do with car shape and air flow around it so it just sucks it all up the back!!

do the flaps (ooeerr misuss) come with screws to bolt them on? are there alredy holes in the car to put them onto??

will check later when I get a moment.

[ QUOTE ]
A3 rear mudflaps fit both the front and rear of an S3, even thought the dealers say not!

[/ QUOTE ]

A3 rear mudflaps can be made to fit the S3 is more accurate, they are not a direct bolt on, but not far off with some creative locating and bending...

To be honest, they do very little. The rear of the car is still filthy and the sides also... Perhaps a little better, but not a solution.

Maybe something like this would help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

seat_corboda_rally_spoiler.gif

marctwo - (never one to suggest there is anything wrong with another man's equipment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) have you checked your nozzle?
Mine is a little temperamental to start with..i'm guessing because the tank is at the front and the water needs to be pumped along an empty tube. But once going - its fine.

Also i love the way i've had the car for just over a month and never noticed the grab handle (slightly of centre to the right) inside the hatch lid to shut the car without getting my hands dirty. Cheers for that one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah took me a while to realise that! Now I've got the knack and the flick of the wrist.

[ QUOTE ]
Also i love the way i've had the car for just over a month and never noticed the grab handle (slightly of centre to the right) inside the hatch lid to shut the car without getting my hands dirty. Cheers for that one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a handle?!?

From Imola S3

I'm too impatient to wait for an email reply so I just phoned VAG PARTS:

£17.04 + vat + postage per pair

so basically £40 + postage for a complete set (i.e. 2 x rear sets).

Discount is dependant on numbers. Anyone interested?

I'll start the list:

- Imola_S3 (Grant)

- rob.a3.quattro.sport (Rob)

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but would anyone be interested in carrying this through? Group buy some for mudflaps...?!

I've just put 18" RS6 reps on the A3, looks nice.. could do with lowering, BUT I think a start would be too get some flaps on there!

one of the things im thinking about for the winter... any one got any pics... do they spoil the look of the sexi rear of the a3/s3?

Thanks Jester!

So THESE will quite happily fit my 1.8T 8L A3? Excellent.

do the rears also fit the front? I'm unsure, but I think I read this somewhere.

Has anyone got any clearer photos for us to take a look at? Many thanks.

Just received my set.

On first look and try - i.e. holding it up agains the inner wheelarch on back bumper - it should fit quite snuggly.

Just got to take off the back wheels to screw them on.

Job for the weekend.

jesters3 said:
Just got to take off the back wheels to screw them on.

Job for the weekend.
Best of luck with that. When I put mine on, I got one fitted up ok, then I bust the McGard key on the other wheel. So I had to drive around with 1 mudflap on for 2 weeks whilst I got a replacement McGard key!

Jimmeh said:
do the rears also fit the front? I'm unsure, but I think I read this somewhere.
Yeah, the rears fit the front better than the normal front ones. The biggest problem is that the rear fixing screws aren't suitable for fixing the top of the mudflap. On the rear, you just drill into the plastic wheelarch lining and use the self tappers. On the top of the mudflap at the top this would mean drilling into the wing - not recommended unless you want it to go rusty.

I've seen people use aftermarket clamps from halfords, but they were a bit clunky for me, so what I did was buy some U aluminium channel from B&Q approx 15mm by 10mm, cut it into a 20mm piece. Drilled a hole through one of the sides of the U, tapped it and fitted a small grub screw. What you then have is in effect a mini G clamp.

Put the back leg of the U behind the lip on the wing, and the front part of the U with the screw in it on top of the mudflap. Tighten the screw and you then clamp the mudflap to the wing without any holes. Sorted.

Fitted the rears at the weekend and they are an excellent fit. Very straight forward to fit.

Wheel off
Line up Mudguard
Fix top screw
Fix the next three
Final screw make sure it is nice and flush
Wheel on
Other side

Would just say that when you fix the top/first screw don't over tighten it as it will 'pull' it inward as a result you have a slight gap which is then difficult to correct.

Roll on the wet muddy weather.