k03 imfo

skinz

Reaction score
my turbo has had it so looking at a new 1, mine is the standard 150bhp k03 but on the newer a4's the k03 is 190bhp, could i fit this on mine (96 AEB 1.8t) the only mod is its been chipped

Looking at buying brand new from Audi? Or a motor factors?

so the k03-073 would fit straight on my car without any modification, would i get round the 190hp to say not including my chip, how would i find the part no. for a k03-073

i am looking at doing a couple of other bits like change the manifold and fit a de-cat to try an up the hp, also been told i should have a boost gauge, im still learning about all this as its my first turbo engine, i was a vauxhall owner b4 this, i dont know all the bits like whats the n75 and dont know all the letters for dif things, so u'll have to bare with me if i ask alot of silly Q.

Audi part no is 06B145703B for a new unit its £1262.53 inc vat. You cant have an exhaust obviously as you cant give yours back in its place. BUT if you got an exchange turbo and just paid for the surcharge its actually cheaper at £1044.32 inc vat

i said good price lol, the best price i've had is £540 new or £420 re-con

euro car parts, avp are doing it for £557 new, sorrys thats the price for the standard k03-005 not the k03-072, that price u gave me what turbo is that for

But wait here a minute, you say that he could use a different turbo without a remap? How is that possible? I would assume that the two turbos have different properties?

The prices i gave you are for the BEX turbo ie 190bhp B6 engine. Use that part number on your system as i know euros can match up from genuine part numbers.

he means that a larger turbo will require different ECU programming to match the increased airflow from the larger unit.

In practice you'll likely find the K03s from the BEX and the original -005 turbo are similar enough that it'll work fine. You just wont get the additional power that the K03S can provide.

I cant see what the point would be to choose a different turbo without a remap? I know some ebay selles claims that you wouldnt need a remap and/or that you will get a hp increase with no remap, when you replace a K03 with a K04. Not only is this not true, you also risk destroying your K04 as it may overrev if used with K03 software. Ive discussed this with Borg Warner, they claim that this is a quite common issue.

If i was buying a new turbo in this situation i would go for the 73 over the standard ko3. Wouldnt give any noticable gains without a map but it wont be working as hard and why not fit a slightly better turbo at the same time. Its not like just sticking a massive turbo on with no mods,its still just a tiny k03.

franken turbos are £1000 and a remap is around £500 but then i cant remap my ecu, so i've been told

franken turbos are £1000 and a remap is around £500 but then i cant remap my ecu, so i've been told

You could propably find the same chip I use, an MTM stage 4 for K04-015.

I cant see what the point would be to choose a different turbo without a remap? I know some ebay selles claims that you wouldnt need a remap and/or that you will get a hp increase with no remap, when you replace a K03 with a K04. Not only is this not true, you also risk destroying your K04 as it may overrev if used with K03 software. Ive discussed this with Borg Warner, they claim that this is a quite common issue.

I dont think its possible to over-rev a K04 on K03 software. The K04 produces more airflow than the K03, so for any given power level will be running at a LOWER shaft speed. The K03 software will still only be requesting the same airflow as it was on a real K03.

I think the point of fitting a better turbo without a remap makes sense. For example, a K04 or a -073 are similar in cost to a new -005, so if your buying a new turbo it makes sense to get the larger one. Sure it also makes sense to remap it, but if you cant afford to do so, then at least if you buy the bigger turbo now, the option is there to remap it properly later on. If you buy a standard turbo, then your stuck with standard power in the future unless you buy yet another turbo.

Its like walking into a store to buy 2 bottles of juice and finding they're on Buy 2 get 1 free. It makes no sense just to buy only two because you dont want to drink the third one just now. You take the 3, and stick the third bottle on the shelf for later.

On the subject if I bolt on say the Frankenturbo F4H or scroll k03-sp54x are you saying I need a remap to even run this on the car or is the remap just to get the full potential of the turbo and I can run either without a remap with a little gain in hp ??

The exact opposite.

You can bolt it on as is, and will see more or less K03 power. Might even see LESS boost than normal due to how the ECU works, because the turbo requires less pressure to flow 180hp.

So in other words I will need a remap to suit the flow of the turbo to see any boost/hp gain ? But it will run as a stock turbo with less boost in Theory ??

Correct. The AEB and AJL do not have a boost sensor, they control the turbo pressure using load value calculated from airflow.

So if the FT were to make 180hp at 10psi rather than 12, you'll only see around 10psi of boost.

Electronic throttle cars have a boost sensor, and work to a pressure target, so on those models you would likely see a performance increase without a remap as the engine would hold its target pressure and hence flow more air.

so if i wanted to put a bigger turbo on i would need to tune the ecu but i cant tune the AEB so would need to change the ecu and the harness first, the depending on how big i go i need to change the injectors an something else, plus maybe the manifold and get a bigger bore exhaust and get a bigger front mounted intercooler, change the clutch have i missed anything lol

Please actually read what i've said.

You can bolt on a hybrid K03/4, and it will work just fine. You WILL NOT however see any more power than your currently have, until you get the car tuned.

yea i know that bud, thats what i ment, to get any use out of having a bigger turbo ftted i need to do all them things, if im not gonna do all them other things then i might as well just stick to a k03, in other words it would cost me a couple of grand if i want a bigger turbo

Turbo now as there ain't really shy difference in price then if u feel like it at z later date just add the other bits as you will end up wanting more power even if it's only to take it to 230bhp

In practice you'll likely find the K03s from the BEX and the original -005 turbo are similar enough that it'll work fine. You just wont get the additional power that the K03S can provide.

I'd agree. The control system on the -073 is identical to that on the -005. So the ecu will not have any difficulties reining it in when it wants. The bigger turbo is a newer design and will deliver the same performance with less work. I'd expect gas mileage to improve as well.

...a K04 or a -073 are similar in cost to a new -005, so if your buying a new turbo it makes sense to get the larger one. Sure it also makes sense to remap it, but if you cant afford to do so, then at least if you buy the bigger turbo now, the option is there to remap it properly later on. If you buy a standard turbo, then your stuck with standard power in the future unless you buy yet another turbo.

And it's worth mentioning that the K04-015 and K03-073 is so similar in size/capacity that it would probably be fine with software and fueling intended for a K04. It's a solid option.