Front wipers stopped working so....

T0m

Reaction score
......I loosley followed this article AudiWorld Tech Articles and managed to do the job.

I must say that the above article makes it look easy but its a ****** to get the motor mechanism and linkage arms out even with the ecu moved out of the way (I couldnt move the housing out of the way due to connecting wires) looking at the pictures on that article I dont think the car is a B6.

Anyhow a lot of wiggling later and I managed to get it out, took it apart and the drivers side spline was nearly siezed dont know how the motor managed to move it at all, with it gripped in a vice and loads of lubrication later the spline was out, I managed to clean all the old dried grease out of the shaft and from the spline.

Now with it all cleaned up and regreased it went back together without an issue.

One tip I would say is when putting it back pop off the top linkage arm from the centre motor the whole mechanism will slip back in easier then you can reconnect this once its in place. You may have to plug it in and give the wiper motor a revolution stopping it in the right position so the centre ball joint its accessable by turning the ignition off then simply reconnect the linkage arm.

ECU, bolts and trim repositioned and tightened without any issues jobs a good one and now they are working just as they should!!

I didnt take any pics as that above article more or less shows you what you need to see.

I feel for you mate, I did the same about 3 weeks ago. Can't believe how fast the wipers are moving now! I found that winding the mechanism round a bit when putting it back makes it easier - I didn't think of keeping the top part of the mechanism off though!

I used quattrojame's guide here.

That Audiworld guide is for LHD, which I think is easier to get the mechanism out as there's more space.

Benjie it went back a lot easier with it disconnected, what I didnt say was a couple of days ago we tried to get the drivers wiper arm off and it wouldnt budge (I even bought a tool for the job but that didnt work) at the same time a neighbour helping me kindley knocked the edge of my windscreen with a screwdriver and cracked it so now I need a new windscreen arrrgh

Anyhow two mintues at a garage yesterday morning and a VAG qualified technician it was off although I did think he was going to break it with the force he used but fair play to him he got it off for me. So word of warning if you cant get the arm off pop to your local garage they may be able to help and save you a new windscreen!

I took my wipers off about 1.5yrs ago when I changed to B7 aero wipers and they were a ****** to get off then. My mate's dad had some pullers, so I used them, but the tension in them was unreal and they popped off a few times before eventually getting the arms off. Haven't had trouble removing them since.