more boost from turbo??

A3tell

Reaction score
have been reading a few posts recently, and this topic pops up a bit, "winding more boost into the turbo"........ am guessing its manually opening a valve on the turbo to let it boost higher???
if that is the case, then am also guessing that it can be a little dangerous to do yourself???? and would it help me doing it before i get my map done on the 30th??? or would it just be to risky??

Leave it well alone mate!

You CAN alter boost by adjusting the actuator rod, but it's not a good idea at all, and without mapping to suit, it'll all go wrong.

if you're booked in for a remap in a few weeks, then that will up the boost hugely itself. Messing with the actuator will just cause it to overboost when mapped, and the guys mapping it are going to get annoyed that it's been played with.

Just be happy and safe in the knowledge, that once remapped, it'll be like a brand new car all over again!

Just get the map done... playing with the hardware of a turbo engine this way especially if you don't know what you are doing can and probably will end in tears...

A K03 turbo doesn't produce much boost above 18psi for a very short time and this will be pretty much what the mapping will do but at least it will be safe... using tricks such as 'bleed valves', manual boost controllers and adjusting the preload on the actuator are ways to get more boost BUT!!! (big but!) do NOT get hung up on boost as it is NOT the be all and end all of power... more boost does not always mean more power....

The Lupo Bill is developing to use a K03 super hybrid turbo (essentially Welly's K04 hybrid in a K04 form factor) was producing 290 odd bhp on an early map but peaking at 25psi odd boost... dropping the boost to just under 20psi using an MBC (manual boost controller) he could add a little extra timing advance and got 310bhp...

Just get it mapped and leave it at that... playing with stuff this way is too risky without proper facilities imo...

<tuffty/>

point made fellas. wasn't really looking into it, just wondered if there was any little tweeks i could make to give the map the best chance for top bhp, thats all.
cheers.

on a ko3 turbo, any remap pretty much maxes out the turbo anyway, so you're unlikely to get more from it anyway.

You'll love it when it's mapped though, like a new car :)