Really worth renewing top mounts & bearings?

TimG

Reaction score
I'll be fitting some new coilovers to my car this week. On past cars I've not bothered renewing strut mounts/bearings when changing suspension & never had an issue, but wondered after how many miles they generally degrade? The car is 7 years old has covered 57k miles on standard suspension.

Is this mileage too low to be worried about top mounts & bearings being knackered?

The mounts are £20 each & the bearings £10 each so an additional £60 I dont want to spend if mine are fine!

I guess its a call to make upon seeing their condition... but any opinions welcome.

Last edited:
It's very hard visually to check the condition if they aren't heavy worn or damaged. I would change them anyway as they are coming off so you might as well do them. If you do decide not to do them then you won't have any issues as they are designed to last much more than the mileage you have done.

My car had covered that when i did my suspension and the top mounts were on their way out. I was so glad that i'd planned to change them.
I'd recommend it!

Thanks for the info guys, any more input from anyone who has changed their suspension? Interested mainly in the state of top mounts after around 50-60k mileage?

Just had my H&R springs and S-line shocks put on my 04 plate and the top mounts were on their way out and my car has only done 40k miles

Any car I do suspension changes on always gets a top mount and bearing change. It's so easy and cheap why wouldn't you?

good peace of mind is what it brings