Is my alternator dead?!?

skinnyman9000

Reaction score
Here is the story:

I have a 1997 A4 tdi, everything running fine with the battery voltage at 16. Then i noticed yesterday it was at 12, and today on the way home it went down to 10, and then it wouldnt start. So i took said battery off and stuck on the battery off my Rado (420amp so should be fine), and the voltage gauge sat at 12, then down to 10, and now it wont start. Sooooo the battery is clearing being drained quite fast and isnt being recharged.

Before i ***** £114 on a new alternator, could it possibly be anything else?

You can take the man out the rado but you cant take the rado reliability out the man.

sounds like the alternator to me.
But i'd get my head under the bonnet and check cables, belts and other such things.

look for a local shop or place that deals with reconditioned alternators.
Might work out cheaper than new and they just as good.

With the engine at a fast idle (2k Rpm), the voltage should read around 14 volts (13 1/2 to 14 1.2). The alternator needs to generate a larger voltage than the battery voltage to overcome the internal resistance of the battery, but if its over 14.5v the regulator has failed and is causing an over voltage. under 13.5 it could be the rectifier (converts the AC current to DC), or the windings/armature/brushes are failing or have failed.

All in all. suspect the alternator IS dead im afraid.

I think the alternator has collapsed inside.

I had a look this morning and here’s what I saw. The shaft that the belt pulley sits on has poked itself further out the side of the alternator. The belt is now sitting on this shaft rather than the pulley, and because its poking further out the pulley is now sat between 2 fan blades on the radiator fan. Nooooo idea whats happened, but its definitely knackered.

happened to me in dec, identically.

you can replace the pulley but i ended up with a new alt because i needed the car back asap

if the clutch pulley has fallen to bits then you need a new pulley. alternator should be ok. has it effected the powersteering drive then, belt gone loose? is the belt ok?

if you opt for a new alternator make sure it comes with a pulley on it. some dont.

mine did, you can get a new one from audi - was about £10,000 and you need a special splined tool to fiit it.
I just went to unipart and got a new alt