FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hey folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just thought I'd post an account of my A3's day-out at Preston Audi today, as there's one part in particular of the story I was hoping to get some opinions on...

Some of you might be aware that I've been throwing a fair bit of time and cash at my car lately, finishing off some bits and pieces, and also having some problems fixed.

I picked it up from a local independant at closing time on New Year's Eve after having one caliper, two discs, and four pads replaced; and when bringing it around from the parking at the back of the garage to the forecourt I noticed a bit of a rubbing sound coming from the corner with the new caliper. I mentioned this to the departing staff (already guessing it was probably futile), and they passed it off with the "they're new brakes, keep an eye on it and ring us if you have any problems" bit (but hey, everyone should party NYE, which I understand).

So having had a successful day here yesterday (I finally fixed my b%£*^$d alarm! (and made it beep when I lock it) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) the day dawned when the 12 month inspection/service came along, and I added the noise from the driver's corner (presumably brake) to the list of other things I was going to have Preston Audi investigate...

My Dad picked it up tonight, and between the invoice and some verbal-relay from my old-man, an interesting chapter unfolded...

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>adam carried out your annual service £114.89</pre><hr />
-Fair enough, don't know the fella but I guess he knows his stuff...

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>check for idle uneven £ 60.47
cleaned throttle body
seems to have improved idle</pre><hr />
-Not so keen on that word "seems", but otherwise fair-play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>check for slow coolant leak £ 0.00
requires new radiator £410.62</pre><hr />

Well, what can you say about that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... Nice price. I think I'll be getting my mits dirty and doing that one myself!

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>Technician Report:- £ 0.00
incorrect wheels fitted causing them to
rub against pads on o/s/f and n/s/f</pre><hr />
WOAH! HHHHAAANG ON A SECOND!!!

The wheels? As in, the things in each corner with tyres on? - Are rubbing against the pads? What pads? The brake pads? ...Really???

At first thought (and OK I'm no certified vehicle-technician) the physics of that blows my mind - what shape are the inside of my Avus rims so that they can rub on my comparitavely-soft brake pads but not be smashed to pieces by the caliper and all manner of other large metal objects in that area? I'm sure there was plenty of clearance everywhere when I fitted them (given that everything in the arch is considerably smaller than on an S3), whatever could've happened?

Seriously though... Can any of you guys make any sense of the waffle on the invoice? Further handwritten notes (by the chap who investigated (seemingly not our friend Adam)) on the "Additional Work" sheet from the Workshop read "Noise on Car is wrong Alloys fitted to Car" - I was pretty surprised to read that.

Am I going nuts? Is there an actual incompatibility between the Avus rims from an S3 and an A3? Or has someone at Preston Audi been sniffing glue?

I'm extremely interested in peoples' opinions regarding that last one; because it really surprised me... What do you think?

Anyway, at least she's back with 12 months on the service book, 12 months on the MOT, a working alarm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, a clean throttle-body, and a solution (although not in place yet) to the coolant-mystery. I'm just getting a bit wound-up by this issue with the brakes, but *touch wood* I'll get to the bottom of that before long.

Thanks and regards,

Rob.

If the bits in the different font refer to the actual wording on your service sheet. That is laughable for all the wrong reasons.
Unbelievable!!!

Indeed, all the parts marked "code" are letter for letter quotes from my invoice.

Also like I say, "Noise on Car is wrong Alloys fitted to Car" was written in a notes box on an "Additional Work" jobsheet.

Brilliant isn't it!

Regards,

Rob.

Can you clarify if you had the noise when you first fitted the S3 alloys to your A3?

I guess you can take the car back to the independent?

Still gobsmacked at the service report!!!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Rub against the pads? Or the calipers?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the face you made while you wrote that is the same one as I made when I read the invoice.

As I say, it's in black and white... My wheels are rubbing on my pads!...

http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/audi_invoice.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I really hope I'm not going nuts! Surely the waffle on the invoice is exactly that?

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Ian Logendra said:
Can you clarify if you had the noise when you first fitted the S3 alloys to your A3?

I guess you can take the car back to the independent?

Still gobsmacked at the service report!!!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I certainly didn't have it when I first fitted them, I did however have a similar(/identical) noise when I first noticed that the driver's side front caliper wasn't releasing all the way and the pad was rubbing the disc a short while after (it's been sitting unused for quite long periods for one reason or another (mainly because of problems with the DVLA since purchase in April until October/November)).

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked at the service report. There were a couple of quirky little things I noticed as I dropped her off this morning which I suppose should've been a little indicator to lower expectations some, but that's another story.

I'm hoping a few of the guys on here will be able to confirm the theory I have (which I'm 99.9% certain of - the .1% uncertainty only coming out of shock from what's printed on my invoice) that Avus rims can be fitted to an A3 with no problems; and then I think I'm going to make a call to this "Richard Hudson - Aftersales Manager" named on the invoice to ask a few questions. Even if it's correct and the wheels are the cause, I think the report itself is still a bit below-par; definately less than I'd like to expect of a franchise with the hallowed-rings over the door.

Regards,

Rob.

Yeah good advice from monty, check the realtive heat of the front discs after some light braking. If the caliper is sticking or the disc is warped etc it will get significatly hotter - dont burn yourself!

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Yeah good advice from monty, check the realtive heat of the front discs after some light braking. If the caliper is sticking or the disc is warped etc it will get significatly hotter - dont burn yourself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - wise words. Cheers folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Tapping the wheels progressively harder until I decide it's safe to get hold properly is a weirdo-like spectacular show I've put on at the side of the road a couple of times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I didn't have to when the caliper finally decided to let me know it wanted to retire; the disc was glowing red hot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think the problem is going to lie with the new caliper not being quite happily settled with the existing components; it's unlikely to be a warped disc becuase as I say the discs and pads at the front are about 5 miles old.

I'm still eager to hear anyone else's thoughts regarding the compatibility of Avus and A3s; as I'm now pretty keen to make some phone calls and enquire why I was given a) such an interesting cause for the fault and b) such a poor report of the investigation.

Thanks and regards,

Rob.

Ive tried to get it downloaded from emule without any success. In installs and runs but the data must be corrupted, I cant 'unlock' my car in the vehicle ID so i cant use it. It is on about 10 CDs though half arent asked for when installing. (version 3)

we do come across quite a few GSF warped discs i dont know why this is probably down to poor manufacture!

although i agree it was a bit of a poor service you had, i think you had a duty of care to tell the dealer what you had fitted to the car when the problem had started this would have aided their diagnosis and you would have been happier!

i also think it was very! unfair to publish the guys name, although it is not me i would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif that you had done it, just think if the roles were switched!

i would also like to point out that not all dealers are like that! most of us are very god and have alot of experience, i do know how some technicians think because of when i was moding my car all i heard was that will not work and why are you doing that, but persistance always seems to pay off, in the end. somethimes!

sorry if i have gone on a bit!

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
most of us are very god and have alot of experience,

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl, spot the Freudian! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
we do come across quite a few GSF warped discs i dont know why this is probably down to poor manufacture!

although i agree it was a bit of a poor service you had, i think you had a duty of care to tell the dealer what you had fitted to the car when the problem had started this would have aided their diagnosis and you would have been happier!

i also think it was very! unfair to publish the guys name, although it is not me i would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif that you had done it, just think if the roles were switched!

i would also like to point out that not all dealers are like that! most of us are very god and have alot of experience, i do know how some technicians think because of when i was moding my car all i heard was that will not work and why are you doing that, but persistance always seems to pay off, in the end. somethimes!

sorry if i have gone on a bit!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hiya foolish3uk, long time no speak, hope you're well.

As regards the information I gave the dealership about the car, I thought I was quite prepared - with regard to other issues I'd noticed I had data-logs ready, and final-control reports I'd made etc., and as far as the brakes etc. are concerned, I'd actually explained that I'd recently had the EBC Turbogroove's fitted, and the new pads, plus the OE caliper. I didn't specifically mention before I dropped it off that it had S3 Avus on, but I guess they spotted those.

On the point of the chap's name, as I mentioned somewhere I think, I don't think it was this Adam chap who actually did the diagnosis of the ""wheel"" problem; there's another name scribbled on an "Additional Work" sheet that doesn't quite look like Adam.
I must say though, I do try to be quite careful with peoples identities (if you have a look around for pictures I've posted/hosted for people you won't find a single registration plate etc.); and I figured that showing the invoice with his first-name on doesn't really give much away (to my shock I found both my names and a mug-shot in a computer magazine today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif), it's a far way from posting his telephone number or address or something. Maybe I'm being too relaxed about it in this case though?

I also hear what you're saying about not judging all dealerships/technicians by this experience; I've owed a debt of gratitude to yourself and other techs on numerous occassions in the past, as with any profession it's obviously always going to be the few who let the side down for the many.

Anyway, discussions continue (see other thread (Day-Out Part 2))...

Hopefully I'll be able to post the resolution before long...

Regards,

Rob.

I'm sorry Foolish but I see no problem with any of the comments made by Faction. The name is the guys first name and as per the job sheet he is made to be accountable by putting his name down when he has done a job...or not in this case.

It's all well jumping to the defence, but too often is the automotive industry allowed to get away with lax work, which can be down to the mentality of the mechanic or a lack of training, so I feel these issues need to be out in the open. If you can't handle accountability then you're working in the wrong place in terms of being somewhere that requires that.

This is a completely unbalanced comparison, but a surgeon suffers severe consequences for a mistake, so why should the same accountability, obviously set against a scale, not be used in every job? We all get paid to do a job and if we can't do it correctly then we should be held responsible.

This is not a stab at anyone, but something that ticks me off in the many dealings I've had with dealers, garages and the automotive industry.

RE: Accountability - There are very few jobs these days where an individual who does the work wont be held accountable. i cant actually think of one.

Imagine you pick your car up from the dealer and the wheels arent on properly. You drive out, the wheel comes off and injures someone. The person who mis-fitted the wheel will be held accountable. Not the company - unless the company can be proven to have employed the person without references, not given the individual training etc.

I work in a Care home industry and its the same for carers. In the past if a person were to fall etc. the carer would assume its the nurse in charge's responsibility/accountability. but its clearly not. and i have been at pains to clearly spell this out to them. A family member in this day claims direct would be perfectly within their rights to make a claim against an individual carer.

So whenever you sign your name to anything... you are accountable. so i agree putting the copy of the service report up for all to see is no problem.
It fact. Its information. What each of use do with that information is up to us as individuals.

(fun day at work again - so sorry for the ramble!)