Headlamp Washer Advice

greenybum

Reaction score
Hi, new to the site so hope this is in right section. Due to the bad weather swapped the wifes Mercedes for a S3 2.0TFSI Quattro. Verdict so far is 100% right thing to have done, what a pleasure to "drive" a car again. Slight irritant though is headlamp washers fire over bonnet and sometimes hit the screen. Is there a way of adjusting them and if so how. Thanks for any help.

Not really but it should'nt make a difference as your wipers will be on at the same time so should only irritate you for a second or so !!! lol

do they actually miss the lights? because they fire with pretty high pressure so you get a lot of spray bouncing off the headlights onto the bonnet & screen

offside hits around centre, nearside just about hits top of lamp. If this is the norm then no problem just wanted to check it out.

to be honest ive never had a look see where they hit, sure someone may have checked tho

Im sure the aim is adjustable but god knows how you do it! You'd need to spary them & then jam them open with something that wouldnt damage the bumper paint!

Im sure the aim is adjustable but god knows how you do it! You'd need to spary them & then jam them open with something that wouldnt damage the bumper paint!

eek i wouldnt wanna jam them! prob blow the motor!
maybe if you can work out what fuse it is and then when they are in operation, whip the fuse out, adjust and then put the fuse back in?

They're not really an exact science, get someone to work them then using your hand overturned, grab the jet as if you were holding a cigarette, then have a look in and see if the jet nozzles themselves are adjustable, can't remember for definite but worth 5 mins if it's bugging you.( be prepared to get wet though) ha ha

they pop with water pressure, not electric motors & the spring that retracts them is pretty strong but if you found a willing subject, they could also hold the jet out ;-)

eek i wouldnt wanna jam them! prob blow the motor!
maybe if you can work out what fuse it is and then when they are in operation, whip the fuse out, adjust and then put the fuse back in?

You can't blow the motor, you have to grab them, it's the way we change the covers on them as well

ahh i assumed it was all motor driven lol
but if its all done by pressure, then sounds fine

For gods sake dont jam them open....theyre hydraulic and this will fk them up.One piece @£46 and you have to take the bumper off to replace.Id like to adjust mine too

I thought they were closer to £70 each.

Yes, they have a hydraulic action but i cant see holding them out in a position they were intended to sit for a time determined by the central electronic module for a few seconds longer is going to cause any damage - mine have been half jammed out as they froze and are fine. They are drawn back in by a large spring, not by hydraulic action.

Just took look at elsa, it states that they are set at factory & dont require any adjustment. I take it that that means they can't be adjusted after all? To remove the cap, you pull out the cap & hold washer jet in place with pliers & unclip the cap so it sounds like holding it out wouldnt cause any damage but there appears to be no point in doing it after all.

Just took look at elsa, it states that they are set at factory & dont require any adjustment. I take it that that means they can't be adjusted after all? To remove the cap, you pull out the cap & hold washer jet in place with pliers & unclip the cap so it sounds like holding it out wouldnt cause any damage but there appears to be no point in doing it after all.

Well said !!!!!!!

Ive got to say my headlamp washers water does sometimes ride up the bonnet but one thing i noticed in the seemingly endless crap weather weve had that when i got out after motorway journey car full of muck was the washers only "cleaned" the xenon bulb area they didnt touch the rest of the headlamp if that makes sense.

And to be honest i know theyre law xenons and washers but theyre really a token gesture they dont really "clean" IMO. All that said id never want to or try and adjust them by pulling them out etc that sounds like a recipe for a trip to the garage...

what age is your car first of all the other option is shortening the blast from the washer or extending the delay to turn them on via vagcom