Whats this broken thing?

roman3000

Reaction score
Hi, was putting a decat pipe on the other day and noticed this sensor was broken, anyone know what it is and should i fix it? Its on the passenger side.
Photo397.jpg

That looks like it should be connected to the drop link where the nut is where you have circled its broken off you can see the rest of it behind the nut. I dont think its a sensor though but i could be wrong as i dont have an 8p it looks more like its part of the antiroll bar assembly. Maybe someone with an 8p can confirm this.

My thoughts are that its something to do with the ESP since it looks like the sensor measures how much the suspension moves, but i haven't had any problems with it.

It could be see if you can get a part no off it and google the part no and it should tell you what it is. I would think an esp fault would show a light on the dash but it might only show up on a scan with vagcom.

I think its for your auto headlight level, do you have manual switch in car for light level, if not it would be my best guess.
George

Looks like one of the multi link suspension control arm components, but just had a quick look on google images for A3 front suspension diagrams and came up with nothing. Probably best to ask someone with EKTA.

Just looked at ETOS its deff a headlight level adjuster, one on pass front one on pass rear.
George

Yea headlight sensor, which would explain why you havnt noticed anything wrong with driving the car while it has been broken

the bit thats snaped is not listed by itself, you would have to get full sensor, for model PR-8QS,8Q5 (SELF-ADJ SENSOR WITH LINKAGE) PART NUMBER 1K0 941 274 B thats for A3/S3/sportback/qu 2004-2007.

Thanks for the replies guys, ive got xenons and i can see them adjust themselves automatically when i get in. Will have a look at replacing it if its not too expensive.

Found one on ebay for £48 delivered, might pass for now :ninja:

Last edited:
When you start, the auto leveling system runs a diagnostic check on the leveling motors in the headlights.

With that link broken the car will not sense any undulations in the road and move the adjusters which may well be blinding on-coming road users.

Paul