Brake light switch part number?

Reaction score
Hi All,

My brake lights and cruise control randomly stopped working this morning and I think i've nailed it down to the brake light switch beneath the pedal, but I need some guidance on the part number as there seems to be different revisions? Does anyone have an idea of the part number for a 2003 S3?

Cheers,
Dave.

Personally id take the switch out and take it in to a motorfactors and they will be able to match it up that way. The part number will be on the switch too if its not working it wont make any difference if its there or not hope this helps.

take the switch out, twist the lid off it and remove the spring....you will notice an inner barrell which you can twist back into place.....fix rather than replace if the dealer is far away, i havent renewed mine since repairing it

that said if you insist on replacing, dont buy pattern!!! and make sure you get a post 2001 part as pre 2001 has slide contacts which are utter pants, especially if you buy the europart version whicvh lats 6 months (made by the same firm that make OEM my ****)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've removed the switch and it is part number 1J0 945 511C.

How exactly do you 'twist the lid off'?

sorry i hadnt clicked on the link..... if you prize the lid off with a flat blade and then remove the spring (think it comes out with a little pursuasion)then if you get some pliers on the neck, just inside that lid, then twist around approx quarter of a circle(it will only move in one direction).....you will notice that whilst twisting the little nipple near the other end of the barrel will move (in the picture it will move down into the slot)

wish i could make ref in that pic.....

what your trying to achieve is, if you look to the left of the barrel in that pic, there is a nipple which will slide across, what has stopped the switch working is that some how the nipple has slid out of its place - and by twisting the barrel your moving the nipple back into place.....

sorry for the crap explanation, it really is a two second job if i had it in front of me :)

The Lid
BrakeSwitch.jpg

The nipple which should be locked in the notch....which in this picture is not in the correct position
BrakeSwitch2.jpg

Basically the nipple is a part of the neck which is a seperate piece of plastic that runs inside the main body, the cylinder should just turn from the top with pliers once the spring is removed....cant remember but you may have to remove the long arm if the cylinder doesnt twist easily
BrakeSwitch3.jpg

i remember trying to get the cylinder to twist and almost breaking it, then removed or just simply pushed up the long arm and it twisted back into place...then all you do is put it back together