Wet back floor - Any common reasons?

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The footwell in the back drivers side is soaking wet. There's no damage to the door seal from what I can see. I've had a look under the car and the grommits appear to be sound.

Is there any obvious reasons as to why it'd be wet?

Cheers in advance.

Does that come through the inside of the car? The mrs says she hasn't been washing her back window. So I'm not sure about that. I'll have to strip it out at the weekend. If only to just get it dry.

From what I can see, the scuttle panel isn't fully clipping into the base of the screen. So water is running off the window, directly onto the pollen filter. Then running into the air flap. That would explain the wet on the passenger side. But how would it be getting into the drivers side?

Dragged all the carpets out today, carpets are drenched! Found the air flap for the air recirc was wet, so hopefully the pollen filter work I've done will stop that water going in there. I've left the carpet out, sat over a radiator drying out. Leaving it for a week or so, and giving it a damn good wash tomorrow to see if any water pours in.
I've ran the aircon and it doesn't seem to be pour in there. I can't find the drain pipe alot of people seem to talk about though, apparently that can be common. Blocking up and draining into the car.
I found some sounded deadening cracked over a plug on both sides. So I've popped them out, cleaned the seals up and gunked them up with a decent sealent.

Came to the car today, drivers side in the back (parked on a slight incline) was about 1-2cm deep in water.
I think I need to search further.

Have you got a sunroof, on my old golf, the sunroof wouldent leak direct, however water would go down the sunroof drains, and the pipe which lead from there to the front of the foot wells would leak before it got to the door holes, meaning water would leak from behind the plastic and into the drivers footwell, was like a swimming pool at one point, but tapeing up the sunroof fixed it, also have you checked the scuttle panel for leafs and muck?

No sunroof thankfully! It'd just add to the list of places to check.
I've had the scuttle panel out today again. It seems I have sorted the problem of water running onto the pollen filter. So a new one will be going in during the week. I've checked the ussual places and I think I've pin pointed it down to the black wiring cover in the drivers side. It looks like the seal isn't brilliant. It seems to be coming in there. I've gunked it up with some decent sealent as a test. If that works I'll replace it with window bond. A far better longer lasting sealant.

Fingers crossed!

No sunroof thankfully! It'd just add to the list of places to check.
I've had the scuttle panel out today again. It seems I have sorted the problem of water running onto the pollen filter. So a new one will be going in during the week. I've checked the ussual places and I think I've pin pointed it down to the black wiring cover in the drivers side. It looks like the seal isn't brilliant. It seems to be coming in there. I've gunked it up with some decent sealent as a test. If that works I'll replace it with window bond. A far better longer lasting sealant.

Fingers crossed!

Hi,
How did you get on with the above i seem to have the same problem?

All sorted now Andy. Firstly you need to get the carpets out and get them dry. I took mine out and put them on the kitchen table for a week. After Vaxing them dry.
Once all the carpet is out, you can track the water. I got someone to pour water on the front of the car whilst i had my head lodged under the dash. It showed to be coming from the top right hand corner. It wasn't coming in through the bonnet pull cable either. It seemed to be coming through the seal under the black box. I took it off, and the seal doesn't seem perfect. So I've gunked it up and the leak has stopped. I left it a few days through rain and a soaking from a hose pipe and inside is lovely and dry.

That was leak 1. Leak 2 was the scuttle tray not clipping into the windscreen seal, water running past, onto the pollen filter and into the car.