Is It Possible to Clean Inside The Headlights?.......

rlc1985

top gear
Reaction score
One of my a3 headlight's is really mucky and dull compared to the other headlight.. Before i got the car it had a bump on one side and they replaced that headlight with a new one.. Problem is it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's not a major problem.

But is there a way of getting inside the headlight and cleaning it or a guide people?.

Thanks Rob

yeah, remove the headlight and you'll see 4 stainless little clips, 2 on the top 2 on the bottom, pop them off and carefully separate the front of the light from the back, you MIGHT need to get yourself some sealant when you come to put it back together to make sure no water gets in and mists it up when it rains

its pretty easy mate, just be careful when you separate the front from the rear, i cant remember if they are pre sealed or just have a rubber lip, either way you can get them looking pretty much new with the right cleaning products! good luck mate

forgot to say, for god sake be careful when your removing/fitting them, the clips that hold the lights in break pretty easily!!!

dont think so mate , done this most of my cars and head lamps show perfectly. but ive had HID's. looks smart too. subtle and cheap.

i dint mean the casing i meant the chrome parts on inde of the lamp incase your thought the front case lol

I see - I thought you meant the actual lenses. Becasue I've seen people doing the rear and front side inidcators, but not the headlamps. And I also haven't seen anyone darken the inner chrome on the headlamps.....well, not noticed it they have.

loosk well smart mate will looks into doing mie and post some pics if i get it done .

Light's out, Can't seem to remove the back cover easily though.. The 4 clips are off i've gone around the edge trying to prize it open with a flatheaded screwdriver but it doesnt seem like it will ever come away.. Any idea's?

hairdrier or heatgun try heat it gently see if u can break the seal or there is always the oven!!!

pre-facelift.. Don't want to risk the oven and melt anything i shouldn't really. It's proper thick on black silicone that's not going to budge easy at all. I've just put it back on the car cause im driving 2moro morning. Might give the heat ago over the next few days but still don't think its going to come off that easy at all without damaging the backcover to the light.

yes this is an oven or heat gun jobby..... and the black lense mod isnt illegal as long as you dont spray the main reflector....looks better on the projector lamps tbh

someone must have had it off in the past then, mine was a only a little rubber insert that stopped any water getting in, tried using a stanley knife? or use the blade from a JR hacksaw?

alright mate i have used the heat gun method and the brute force method on my prefacelift xenon lights. and neither of them were worth a f...

What I found was BY FAR the easiest way to get the lens off was to use the humble kitchen sink method.
I ran the hot tap until it was seriously seriously hot, then placed the headlight unit lens down in the sink and filled it up with hot water until the water just came over the level of the lip where the black sealant bead is. Leave it there for 4/5m minutes and then lift it out and quickly dry it with a bit of kitchen roll etc.

You should find that this has softened the sealant sufficiently to be able to grip the headlight and prise the lens away starting at one end with your hands.

This lets you heat it up without sorrying about melting anything.

Yhe only other words of warning I will give you are:
1 - DO NOT over fill the sink as there are open holes on the headlight where you can get water inside the thing. bad news with all the electronics (needless to say don't get the electronics wet)
2 - The inside surface of the lens ( at least on the xenons) is EXTREMELY susceptible to scratches. I would personally just use nothing more than finger tips, fairy liquid, and hot water. if you do feel you need to wipe/rub, use something extemeely soft like a microfibre towel or maybe a passing kitten.
3 - Don;t be tempted to use cleaning products on the silver coating of the reflectors. these too are extremely susceptible to reacting with solvents/cleaners etc. I used a clean baby cloth. The missus loved that...

soft like a microfibre towel or maybe a passing kitten. Love it!!!.

I'll give it another try over the weekend with the 'humble kitchen sink method' lol. And see how i get on. Thanks for the advice Ross.