1.8T Engine wont run after crash

Jboy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As you've probably guessed this is my first post on this forum. Been recommended from a friend.
Anyway, last night in heavy rain I aqua plained and took a hard impact to the front drivers side wheel. The wishbone is bent, anti roll bar twisted and the driveshaft snapped. The air box to right side of the bumper has also been crushed and shattered. Other than this there is no other damage, apart from a bent rear axle :/ Still nothing I cant fix.

When I try to start the engine, it just turns over until I give it abit of throttle. Once fired up it will misfire before stalling. Last night I could get it started without throttle and she would run at tick over for about 5 seconds before just cutting out. I wondered if it was being starved of oxygen because of the airbox, so took the intake pipe off. Still it does the same. Also it smells like its trying to run quite rich.

Could it be ECU related caused by a damaged sensor?
Any light shed appriciated.

Many thanks

Faulty/damaged MAF. Get it scanned for fault codes I'd suggest, is it a pre facelift?
Sorry to hear your bad luck.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Excuse my ignorance but whats the MAF?

Will check intercooler over tomorrow morning and update back.

Thanks

Just a guess, but I'd say it's f*cked.

Why not make an insurance claim and get it fixed up that way, that's what insurance is there for after all?

You need to inspect the huge boost leak your getting. If your IC's aren't damaged then its a Miracle tbh! Are you pressing the clutch whilst starting?

Yes, as other said, broken air box and massive boost leak will cause it to not start and idle properly. Done a clutch on a v reg 1.8TQS a few weeks ago and had to move the car off the drive due to lack of time, i had the same issues with the airbox disconnected, took loads of tries and it would not idle on it's own but with a help from modulating the throttle pedal !