1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. lgooch

lgooch Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I have been running my 2017 since brand new as a company car, but I have recently took the allowance and phyiscally bought the car myself.

Got 36K on it and it has been flawless in the near 4 years of driving it.

However I have been bit before with Audi reliability and ended up with a 2009 oil drinker which is well known.

Question is do any of you 1.4 TFSI COD owners know of any problems with these engines long term or are they bulletproof if maintained. i.e. they dont suffer with oil pump hex key wear, oil burning piston rings, throwing a rod etc. You know, all the usual achillies heels which Audi tend to throw at us ?

I started mine up today and on tick over just does not seem as smooth and silent as it used to be which fills me with dread. Just wondering if any other owners have spotted issues at higher mileages etc.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. JohnM100

JohnM100 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

No real issues or themes reported - it seems a pretty robust, reliable engine and more so if maintained well and not thrashed. I’d be curious how the COD mechanism holds up at 100k miles for those people who stay on variable / 20k oil changes, but that’s an issue with the oil change interval and not the engine design itself.

There will always be a case here and there, such as on the A1 forum at the moment but that is post cam belt change.

lgooch and pburv like this.
  4. BillyGiann

BillyGiann Registered User

Just please do not tune it, your turbocharger will respectfully disagree :worried:

lgooch likes this.
  5. lgooch

Good to know JohnM100

Mines been on the long life service so just had its second one at 36k but it will be every year from now on.

I am actually thinking of buying the same car for the Mrs and don’t want two identical cars with common faults which bankrupts me. Suppose it can only be a good thing that I can’t find many issues reported on them on the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. lgooch

10p a mile on company business so it gets driven with feathered feet. 58mpg this morning!

No plans to mod it. Past that stage of my life and just need something reliable, drives well, looks good and doesn’t cost a bomb to keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pburv and Jcbmally like this.
  7. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left.

I love this old school quote, but how much is a bomb :whistle2:

lgooch and pburv like this.
  8. pburv

pburv Registered User

Jcbmally, lgooch and JohnM100 like this.
  9. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left.

pburv likes this.