1.4 CoD stronic 6 or 7

kxt79

Reaction score
So after my indecision on spec I made a change and went stronic and looking forward to seeing it in use in many weeks with the ACC

I notice the brochure says its a 7 speed but did I read this is a mistake I've tied a search but can't find the thread.

If it is 7, how's it differ from the 6 speed?

Thanks

The 7 speed DSG (let's call it that as it's shorter to say) is a dry plate clutch gearbox (designation DQ200) and will cope with max 280nm torque). It is used on the 1.4 A3, the 1.8 and also the 1.6TDI. The DQ250 has a wet plate will cope with up to 350nm and is used for the more powerful engines. Then there is another 7 speed box with a wet plate and is for even more powerful Audi variants eg the TTRS.

I have the DQ200 on my A3 and my TT and I think they are excellent - very smooth.

Yes the 1.8 Quattro is 6 speed but the 1.8 FWD is 7. Just a guess (and I'm sure someone with greater knowledge than me will be along soon!) but perhaps the 7 speed is not compatible with the Haldex 4WD system.

Last edited:
Yes the 1.8 Quattro is 6 speed but the 1.8 FWD is 7. Just a guess (and I'm sure someone with greater knowledge than me will be along soon!) but perhaps the 7 speed is not compatible with the Haldex 4WD system.

Correct. It's not a power/torque issue, but the 7 speed box can only power the front wheels and doesn't have the additional shaft to be able to send power to the rear wheels.

So I shouldn't worry the 7 speed in the 1.4cod isn't as good as the 6 speed?

The 7 speed is great in it's own right, just stick it in S mode and it won't go beyond 6th gear :D

I've driven a few autos now and I'm very happy with the S tronic in my 1.4 COD, very smooth and predictable.

So I shouldn't worry the 7 speed in the 1.4cod isn't as good as the 6 speed?

Each has advantages over the other.

The 6-speed has a higher torque rating and also has a launch control function that the 7 speed doesn't have.
However, I am sure many of the 6-speed owners would like a longer top gear for motorway runs like the 7-speed box.

As for longevity; who knows. The 7-speed has not been around as long as the 6-speed box.

John.

Hi that's great thanks for the feedback. I look forward to giving it a try!