1.4 COD Dynamic Exhaust Note - Real or fake?

ahfh1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a manual 1.4 COD and have noticed that when I put it in Dynamic mode, the exhaust note gives a 'growling' noise when I put my foot down on the accelerator, particular when going from neutral to first gear.

The growling noise is no bad thing, as I think it sounds nice and aggresive when I really want to put my foot down. However, is the exhaust note artificial, or does the exhaust/engine truly create that aggressive sound?

The noise can be a bit too aggressive for pedestrians though, as I can see them turn their heads as they wonder what that noise is! So much so that it can be a little embarrasing for me when people start looking around as if I'm some kind of boy racer.

Anyone else notice this?

I haven't got mine yet, so can't fully comment. But I was under the impression that only the S3 actually had an exhaust valve that changes the note; the other models like the 1.4 COD simply use the aktuator to resonate more engine noise inside the cabin through the windshield.

And the RS3 when you press the "S" sports button it opens a flap by vacuum in the tall pipes as they come out of the back box

I believe all you are hearing is the engine in a more 'sporty mode, probably a just little more boost to the turbo. I'm not sure if it would actually cause pedestrians to look, never had that with my car. You do know that even when set auto when you put your foot down it'll automatically switch to dynamic anyway.

It had nothing to do with the engine, trust me I have a RS3 & I have messed around with the valve, if you take the pipe off the exhaust or block the pipe you will permanently get the deeper sound and the S button will do nothing to the exhaust sound

I believe all you are hearing is the engine in a more 'sporty mode, probably a just little more boost to the turbo. I'm not sure if it would actually cause pedestrians to look, never had that with my car. You do know that even when set auto when you put your foot down it'll automatically switch to dynamic anyway.

I never realised putting your foot down would automatically switch to dynamic. That's handy to know. I've never tried it in auto mode as I always has doubts about how effective auto was.