MOT Fail.

P

Pedrödelabongo

The MOT is due in a week or so and I thought it prudent to get it tested today to see what it would fail on.

Nothing really major and the cause of the ABS/brake lights on the dash has been found - rear abs sensor is corroded - so considering the miles it's done in my year of ownership (almost 20,000), I'm not complaining, this car has served me very well.

The list:
ABS warning lamp illuminated,
Headlight aim both sides,
Both sidelight bulbs not working,
NSF brake calliper binding
OSF ARB link deteriorated
Both rear brake flexible hoses deteriorated

So it's going in to be sorted week after next, then I'll fit a new window regulator, turbo pipe, front engine mount, paint and fit the new front wings - all of which I have gathered in the past few weeks, then get the rest of the paint sorted and put it up for sale as I have a hankering for summat else *cough* A7 *cough* as I don't really need a wagen anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MOT is due in a week or so and I thought it prudent to get it tested today to see what it would fail on.

Nothing really major and the cause of the ABS/brake lights on the dash has been found - rear abs sensor is corroded - so considering the miles it's done in my year of ownership (almost 20,000), I'm not complaining, this car has served me very well.

The list:

So it's going in to be sorted week after next, then I'll fit a new window regulator, turbo pipe, front engine mount, paint and fit the new front wings - all of which I have gathered in the past few weeks, then get the rest of the paint sorted and put it up for sale as I have a hankering for summat else *cough* A7 *cough* as I don't really need a wagen anymore.
I do like the a7 shape reminds me of the jenson interceptor

So if it's failed the MOT it's now off the road !!!

No, I put it in to see what it would fail on - the MOT is up on 4th Feb.
Decided to keep the A4, get the little jobs done, then wrap it in a mental colour (Merlin Purple or a dark burnt orange) and perhaps convert to Quattro and enjoy it for another year.

Big miles (152000 miles as we speak) but I'm confident it'll go well over 200K.

The list:

I might be wrong but an abs light is classed as a major dangerous fault usually, based on any major dangerous fault and going from dvla mot web you shouldnt be driving it even if the mot hasnt expired

Failing the MOT
Your vehicle will fail if the test result lists ‘dangerous’ or ‘major’ problems with your vehicle. You might not be allowed to drive until you fix the problems.

You might also get a list of ‘minor’ or ‘advisory’ problems to monitor or fix in the future.

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.

I might be wrong but an abs light is classed as a major dangerous fault usually, based on any major dangerous fault and going from dvla mot web you shouldnt be driving it even if the mot hasnt expired

Failing the MOT
Your vehicle will fail if the test result lists ‘dangerous’ or ‘major’ problems with your vehicle. You might not be allowed to drive until you fix the problems.

You might also get a list of ‘minor’ or ‘advisory’ problems to monitor or fix in the future.

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.

Blimey, that's a shocker!

The MOT is current until the 4th, the car is going in on the 3rd to be repaired as far as the MOT issues go.

In a previous post, I asked about the ESP/ABS lights coming on at around 45/50mph - yet the ESP and ABS system still work. The garage have identified the O/S/R sensor as being at fault.

Im no expert whats actually right but wanted to point out that its not necessarily true that having an indate mot makes it ok to drive having failed an mot, all depends on the fail i guess and how its classed at the time.

The 'old' MOT supercedes the latest 'failed MOT'....... that's why I booked it in early.

You can MOT test up to one calendar month early, which, once passed, can give a 13 month MOT certificate.

Really?

The rear end does remind me of 70's race cars, but definitely not the Interceptor!
I think its more because the back slopes down like the a7 in a unique way not particularly the same looking just reminiscent of the interceptor, well in my little head anyway lol

Blimey, that's a shocker!

The MOT is current until the 4th, the car is going in on the 3rd to be repaired as far as the MOT issues go.

In a previous post, I asked about the ESP/ABS lights coming on at around 45/50mph - yet the ESP and ABS system still work. The garage have identified the O/S/R sensor as being at fault.
I had an intermittent abs light come on due to a broken sensor and it was put as an advisory, not sure if that helps in anyway :)

Reactions: Pedrödelabongo
I think its more because the back slopes down like the a7 in a unique way not particularly the same looking just reminiscent of the interceptor, well in my little head anyway lol
images

Yeah.....if I squint enough I can sort of kinda see that............... LOL!

The 'old' MOT supercedes the latest 'failed MOT'....... that's why I booked it in early.

You can MOT test up to one calendar month early, which, once passed, can give a 13 month MOT certificate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the original pass MOT does not supersede the Fail.
If it has failed it is not road worthy strictly speaking, a car does not need to simply have an MOT to drive on the road, it must also be road worthy.
All an MOT pass certificate means is that it was legal and road worthy at the time of the test being carried out.

Now from a sensible point of view, theres plenty of older cars on the road without ABS on them at all, so it's not any more dangerous than those.
But on the other side if you were involved in an accident and the insurance company found out you had an ineffective ABS system and an MOT fail on record I cant see them paying out in a hurry.

Reactions: Sidrick
I think the OP did what i do and had the vehicle pre mot'd , they do an mot but don't log into dvla so if there is something wrong you are still legal to get it sorted, ok it costs two mot's but hey ho.

I also get mine done early, the point I'm making is it's not legal to drive around with a non road worthy car.

Assuming the car failed and he then gotthe defects repaired, then it would be ok to drive.

Common sense prevails, and I'm not suggesting I've never driven a car for a few days until I can get repairs done and the MOT retest done, assuming it's not dangerous.
I'm just pointing out that if you were to fail on something that makes your car unroadworthy it is not legal to drive around because you still have a current MOT, your car must be in a trustworthy condition to be used on the road.

It's the nature of the MOT test.
A car due for an MOT only has to be road worthy at the time of testing, anything can happen 30 mins after the test that basically voids the MOT for the following 11 months and 29 days due to another fault or problem that wasn't detected during the test.
It is then down to the owner to ensure the problem or problems are rectified and the car is in a legal and road worthy condition, if the car cannot be made road legal asap it must not be used full stop.
As they say , just because a car has an MOT doesn't means it's road worthy, just that it was when tested.

Reactions: maxdrz400
Too many owners misunderstand what an MOT is and how it works.

Joe blogs car just scrapped through it's mot last week but since then it has a blown headlamp bulb , tyre sidewall damage on one tyre and the air bag lamp is stuck on for whatever reason.
He thinks because it passed its MOT last week all is fine and the car is road worthy and carries on driving it blissfully unaware of things. In reality it is not and his insurance wont be happy about it and unlikely to cover him, and PC plod will have words aswell if pulled over.

Reactions: BakPak
The category of a fault too. If you have a fail certificate it doesn't mean you can't carry on driving until the existing mot expires.

It's amazing what common knowledge out there is , a member of the family living in a quiet village thinks he has to urgently change to a petrol car and didn't know current VED is CO2 based making diesel the King .

The tester guy himself told me that the car was OK to use until the current (old) MOT ran out (which is the 4th) so I can only go by that information.

Would that stand up in Court? Who knows!

Yes, we all know cars should be 'perfect' to use on the road all of the time but with all the will in the world, I bet they're not all roadworthy.

Can't see the point of being too precious about it, it's getting done tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot is down to the car owner mindset.
If an owner just treats a car as a tool,a means of transport for whetever reason and has no other interest in that car then they will not be aware of what is happening to that car ,and most likely wont's be worried about a slashed tyre sidewall or a silly yellow dash lamp etc, just an inconvience.
They will just be ignored or wait until a bigger problem occurs , in their eyes the car it taxed with an MOT.
Whereas an owner that has an interest in a car or cars will be more likely to check the car over on a regular basis, repair things prompty and generally keep the car in good running order.

If an owner just treats a car as a tool,a means of transport for whetever reason and has no other interest in that car then they will not be aware of what is happening to that car ,and most likely wont's be worried about a slashed tyre sidewall or a silly yellow dash lamp etc, just an inconvience.
They will just be ignored or wait until a bigger problem occurs , in their eyes the car it taxed with an MOT.
Whereas an owner that has an interest in a car or cars will be more likely to check the car over on a regular basis, repair things prompty and generally keep the car in good running order.

That seems to imply that I know nothing or care - which isn't the case.

Those lights have been on the dash for a good few weeks, but the systems work fine.

If you have a pre mot you don't get a fail cert, just told what needs doing.

Exactly - thank you!

Nope far from it chap, you've been down and had a pre check etc and you do a lot of work on the car , that would say to me you are doing whats needed and when and look after your car , if it wasn't the case you wouldn't have had a pre mot check would you.
My point was that many owners do nothing , just fill up with petrol and drive, never check the tyres or engine oil etc, just neglect their car and the wonder why problems occur.
Anyway , I didn't mean to suggest otherwise chap , just my personal view point , you know what I mean.:icon thumright:

Yeah, I thought I'd put a smiley :)whistle2:)after the comment - proof that the written word isn't always read in the vein that it was intended! :thumbs up:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I have a mate that is a classic example of this, don't get me wrong he's a really nice guy but when it comes to cars he is the worst.
Just fills it up with fuel and uses it like an old London bus.
never checks the oil well he doesn't know where the dipstick is, never checks the tyre pressure etc....well just doesn't do anything .
every month there is something up with it and then moans , oh the cars not working again ruddy thing.
Rarely passes it MOT and its not even that old.
We all say to him, john sort yourself out with the car but nope in one ear and out the other.
If he spent 5 mins a week just doing the basic checks things would be different, he wont change because he has no interest in it , it's just a means of transport and not even that sometimes.
It's his mindset nothing else , if he changed the way thought of his car things would be vastly improved, but he wont so we just don't bother anymore.

Reactions: BakPak
From my experience people like me that spend thousands on there car and really look after it end up with all the problems or expensive ones anyway and the other lot that don't give a flying **** always end up with cars that hardly go wrong or cost £100 to pass an mot every year, please tell me I'm not the only one that unlucky lol

Reactions: Charlie Farley and HOGG
I have a mate that is a classic example of this, don't get me wrong he's a really nice guy but when it comes to cars he is the worst.
Just fills it up with fuel and uses it like an old London bus.
never checks the oil well he doesn't know where the dipstick is, never checks the tyre pressure etc....well just doesn't do anything .
every month there is something up with it and then moans , oh the cars not working again ruddy thing.
Rarely passes it MOT and its not even that old.
We all say to him, john sort yourself out with the car but nope in one ear and out the other.
If he spent 5 mins a week just doing the basic checks things would be different, he wont change because he has no interest in it , it's just a means of transport and not even that sometimes.
It's his mindset nothing else , if he changed the way thought of his car things would be vastly improved, but he wont so we just don't bother anymore.
Just read this after my post i guess me and him are the exceptions then...well in my car history anyway...

From my experience people like me that spend thousands on there car and really look after it end up with all the problems or expensive ones anyway and the other lot that don't give a flying **** always end up with cars that hardly go wrong or cost £100 to pass an mot every year, please tell me I'm not the only one that unlucky lol
comes under the heading that effects me all the time "sods law" .
Don't forget Ricky you do have a cursed car so no matter how much TLC and cash you invest in it , it will allways be just waiting to bite back.

Your doing a grand job though.:icon thumright:

comes under the heading that effects me all the time "sods law" .
Don't forget Ricky you do have a cursed car so no matter how much TLC and cash you invest in it , it will allways be just waiting to bite back.

Your doing a grand job though.:icon thumright:
Lol thanks that makes me feel better haha not that i plan on selling it but if i do don't tell anyone its cursed shhh lol no to he fair this car is a walk in the park compared to previous cars. Its more running two cars used daily that make it seem like it never ends.

Well it's all sorted now but the b'stards have grazed two of my wheels - proving it is impossible, so guess I'll have to suck it up.
They have got a good headlight beam now - since I've had this car, I thought the standard halogens were poor, but must just have been poor aim.

Well it's all sorted now but the b'stards have grazed two of my wheels - proving it is impossible, so guess I'll have to suck it up.
They have got a good headlight beam now - since I've had this car, I thought the standard halogens were poor, but must just have been poor aim.
Id be ******* fuming!!

Have to say that my first reaction was boiling blood, but hey, proving it and all that stress.
At least it gives me the excuse to have them done a different colour.............more silver, I think.