Oil Pickup fail! FML!

mr.raw

Reaction score
Thought i was safe and was only thinking recently that my car was ok and this morning just seconds before i was about to enter the M4 the oil pressure warning came on.

Pulled in to services and rang garage. Managed to take it down there and they spent a few hours on it looking at the sump etc etc. Seems i might have been lucky and no major damage.

So the moral of the story is get your oil pickup done! 2.0TFSI 07 plate here.

How many miles and is it on longlife?

Just out of interest how did you come to the conclusion that its the oil pick up?

Because the oil pressure warning can come from various things.

And 90K is exactly spot on when it usually happens.

Well I hope they put the revised part on the vehicle because if they dont they just basically putting back the part that will cause the same issue down the line.

Were about you based just out of interest

I thought it was the shaft etc and only a diagnostic could tell.bad week for my audi. Indicators went and the oil pickup in sams week .

Well let me put it bluntly it could have been a whole lot worse if you pick up was the cause and you couldn't stop the vehicle well you be taking out a loan to buy a replacement engine or replacement parts :)

So id be grateful for the fact that a 280 fix rather than a 2800 fix :)

Thats good as a 100% assuring you can always ask them to plug in a oil pressure gauge. To make sure you have the correct mechanical oil pressure.

I do indeed.

There is a few variations for example:

warm idle should be around 2.2-2.5 bar or 31-36psi
and then another @90 deg temp @ 2000 rpm should be around 4.0-4.5 bar - 58-62psi

Then on acceleration it should be around 4.5-5bar - 65 to 72psi.

I supply it in Bar as these are German vehicles and they read it in bar not psi.

Reactions: mr.raw
Just a quick question giosabscl, can you monitor the oil pressure via vcds and get any indication that your pick up is possibly starting to get clogged up?

Sadly you cant well atleast not to my knowledge because that was the first thing I thought of in the past when I experienced similar issues.. You have to pull your oil pressure sensor with 19 mm wrench or socket from the rear of the block and hook up a gauge or hard wire a gauge to the inside of your car.

Thanks for the info. Pity as woulda been good to monitor that even if it wasn't for pickup issues.