Would anyone recommend an oil additive to help stop wear? (3.0 TDI 55 plate) also oil question.

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
Back in the day when slick 50 was all the rage is there anything on the market any better and for Diesel engines.
Also what oil is best to use the Castrol or mobile 1 synthetic or other?
My chain is very slightly noisy on start up, previous garage used mobile one and last one used Castrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a change in viscosity will quieten the chain so a 5W40 but one at the thicker end as 5W30 Quantum-Longlife III is almost a 40.

The best oils are Ester marketed , like Fuchs Titan Race Pro S , Gulf Competition, Red Line , Millers Nanodrive CFS and Motul 300V.

It will be a failing drivers side tensioner, (common fault) you can replace this without removing the engine. No additive will be able to fix/stop the wear on the tensioners. Your best bet is to change the oil regularly <10K mile between changes. But whatever you do or uses the chains & tensioners will need replacing at some point (200K+ miles) they won't last forever.

Oil wise I use the quantum 5w30 (VW's own brand) you can get it cheap from TPS when they have the deals on which is around the end of the month.

Mines on 120k at the moment so I shouldn't be too worried. If it gets worse will have to change them. Ever since I've owned the car the oil has been changed every 10,000 miles as I'm not keen on this 20,000 miles usage out of oil.
Had a look for TPS and found this
ae9f2604dcf16184103a8cc79be9f59d.jpg

Is this the same as you use. Cheers Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is the stuff I use. (Quantum Longlife 3 5W/30) as I said wait until the end of the month for their oil deals.

Reactions: rich dj