Winter tyres (Nokian WRA4) vs Michelin Cross Climates

NickGun

Reaction score
Just in a slight dilemma as to what to do re. first set of replacment tyres for our 3.0TDi Avant Sport Quattro (218) - car is on just under 18k and will need new tyres in approx 2k miles max, currently running its OEM Michelin Primacy 3 but as they are now towards end of their life and the temperature / weather only going to get worse it makes sense to replace them before the winter really kicks in.

I've come up with the following options:

Replace them with Michelin Cross Climate+, I can get 4 fitted locally for as near as makes no difference to £600 - pros are one set of wheels, no need to bother storing / changing etc and from the online reviews and videos I've watched they are very highly rated.

Alternatively I have sourced but not yet purchased a set of 4 genuine B9 SE wheels which are complete with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres, around 5k miles on them and apparently no damage to either wheels or tyres - I can secure them for a very reasonable £250. For winter use I can get a set of Nokian WR A4 winter tyres fitted locally for £420. Pros are 2 sets of alloys, the SE's used for the winter and then the ability to switch to the original Sport alloys with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres again when the weather / temp is optimum, cons storing and changing wheels (not a major issue in the grand scale of things),

Can't really make my mind up as the best way to go - any thoughts? For info our Sport runs standard 17inch wheels with 225/50's.

Recommend Nokian Weatherproof 225/50r17 for Sport £110 each, delivered, from Tyreleader.

Reactions: NickGun
Recommend Nokian Weatherproof 225/50r17 for Sport £110 each, delivered, from Tyreleader.

Thanks, interesting as hadn't spotting them before, essentially the Nokian equivalent of the Michelin CrossClimates, always good to have options.

Just found this group test http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm which had CrossClimates placed 1st overall with the Weatherproof 3rd, I am erring towards having all season tyres as opposed to 2 sets of wheels with Summer and Winters.

Still happy for other suggestions / experiences too.