Winter Tyres and Wheels

Edinburra

Edinburra
Reaction score
I'd like some advice on Winter wheels and tyres for use on a forthcoming TT Quattro. I've used Winters on rear wheel drive vehicles in the past. My new TT will have 19" wheels as standard, so can I go down to 17" using a deeper profile or should I use a 18" with a less deep profile? Also will the new set up require TPMS valves?
Should I stick to Audi alloys for winter use or consider other reputable makes?

Just FYI I have some listed in the FS section.

Thanks for reply however being new to this forum I don't quite understand the abbreviations. If you would expand I'll find. :sign imnew:

If 17 inch wheels will fit over your brakes which I suspect they will then they are likely to be cheaper wheels and tyres. However maybe 18's would be the best bet. I would go for some quality aftermarket wheels or a good set of second hand OE alloys.
There are plenty of alloys available that will fit your car.
Tyre sizes and wheel sizes are here.
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+tt+tts+coupe+roadster/att/2016-850/6/601-601095/
245/40/18 seems to be the tyre size for 18's

The 18 inch wheel size is 8.5J x 18 ET50

I use Nokian winter tyres and find them to be very good.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-a3/245-40-r18-97v-186949
Tyreleader do good quality wheels as well at reasonable prices.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/ats/mizar-978/8.5x18-et48-5x112-66.5-563476

Reactions: Edinburra
I have a 2013 Mk II and my winters are 17". The summers are on the Audi 19" rotors that came with the car. I did wonder about dropping down two sizes for the winter tyres, but the guy I use has never steered me wrong and he didn't this time, either. He's over here in Canada, so not much use to you, but at least you know that it can be done!

I have a 2013 Mk II and my winters are 17". The summers are on the Audi 19" rotors that came with the car. I did wonder about dropping down two sizes for the winter tyres, but the guy I use has never steered me wrong and he didn't this time, either. He's over here in Canada, so not much use to you, but at least you know that it can be done!

Thank you, I appreciate you advice. I've just got prices from a company I used before for winter wheels and tyres and they recommend 17" for my forthcoming TT

I'd like some advice on Winter wheels and tyres for use on a forthcoming TT Quattro. I've used Winters on rear wheel drive vehicles in the past. My new TT will have 19" wheels as standard, so can I go down to 17" using a deeper profile or should I use a 18" with a less deep profile? Also will the new set up require TPMS valves?
Should I stick to Audi alloys for winter use or consider other reputable makes?

We've a TT on 18-inch x 9J rims; an RS3 on 19-inch x 8J rims; and an A1 on 18-inch and 7.1/2 J rims: and I use the same rims (OK, a second set but the same) for both summer/warm and winter/cold tyres: the only reason you might need to change is availability of a suitable winter tyre: but change you should.

Another advantage of using the same winter 'wheels' as those used in 'summer' of course is that you've always got a usable spare :readit: