Will 3.0tdi dual exhaust fit 2.0tdi?

Agric04

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm struggling to find any information on this, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a 2015 2.0 tdi Black Edition Plus Quattro S-tronic 2dr coupe and I want to fit a dual exit exhaust to it. All I'm interested in is achieving the standard oem look of the 3.0tdi (the car I now wish I'd bought!) so I'm not interested in spending big money on a new sports exhaust. I can get a second hand standard 3.0 tdi or 2.7 tdi fairly cheaply but I don't know if it will fit straight on.

I know I will need a new rear valance and heat shield and I will need to get an exhaust pre active exhaust which is fitted to the current model.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Here's a pic of my 2.0 tdi with twin exhaust mod, I had my exhaust custom made, but in theory you could fabricate a 3.0 or 2.7 tdi exhaust to fit, seems alot of bother though, as a custom stainless one should cost around £400 without back boxes.
Yes you need rear defusser and a few other parts, hanger, heat sheild ect, I went into my local Audi dealer and got all the parts for a 3.0 tdi of the same year as my car. Parts guy printed out the page on exhaust parts and I ordered from there.

JG

That's a good looking car. What's your remap like? Mines booked in for a revo map on 1st December.

Where did you get you exhaust made up? Do you get any drone from it when on the motorway. I quite like a quiet exhaust inside.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Hi,
cheers for the comment on the car.
Regarding the BlueFin remap, I went for this instead of others due to previously having it on my A4 b8 2.0tdi, IMO it transforms the 177bhp, less turbo lag, revs smoother and torque is more available at low revs, also like the idea of being able to switch back to original map when going into Audi dealer. Probably would have went Revo if I hadn't bought the BluFin.

My exhaust was made & fitted by Elite Custom Exhaust, they are in Ayr, Scotland. They previously did the exhaust on my A4, so knew they were upto the job. To tell you the truth, I wasn't bothered about how the system sounded, didn't want it loud, just liked the twin exit, previously had dual exit on my A4 so fancied a change. If I fancy another change to S5 dual exit it's just a matter of swapping the defusser and tail pipes.

There's no drone at all, thought the back box delete may have a slight drone, but none at all. You can ever so slightly hear the exhaust note but nothing major, after all it's at 2.0 engine not a V6.
JG

Fitted my eBay purchased 3.0tdi exhaust to my 2.0tdi today, pretty straight forward, once I'd identified the right reducer. Really pleased with it, sounds a little better than the standard 2.0tdi exhaust, but not a huge difference in sound, mainly just looks better imo.

Has cost less than £400 all in for parts. The exhaust was only £130, but the new rear valance wasn't cheap, no second hand rear valances for a black edition plus out there yet!

Parts needed to convert 2.0tdi to 3.0tdi exhaust:
1x 3.0tdi exhaust
1x heat-shield
1x nut for heat-shield
1x stainless steel reducer 2"1/2 to 2"1/4
1x 2"1/2 exhaust clamp
1x 2"1/4 exhaust clamp
1x rear exhaust mount
1x nut for rear exhaust mount
1x rear 3.0tdi exhaust valance
1x rear 3.0tdi exhaust valance honeycomb insert (depending on model)

The used exhaust I bought came with the mounts so saved a few pounds there.

Was having difficulty uploading pics last night, but now working. Not the best pics as it was a wet and windy day and I just wanted to get it on. Still need to get the honeycomb insert as I didn't realise it was an extra part when I ordered the valance from Audi.

Reactions: Swanny356, Darren92, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Hello guys,
Still pretty new to the forum, I was wondering if anybody could help me with some advice on what I should do about the exhaust system on my audi a5 2.0 tdi. I understand there's some good options for the 3.0 tdi.

I've gathered that having the DPF removed is illegal as it won't pass MOT due to emissions?

I was wondering if removing the baffles/silencers from the stock system would produce a reasonably good sound? Has anyone ever done this, any inputs welcome!

Cheers guys!!

Hello guys,
Still pretty new to the forum, I was wondering if anybody could help me with some advice on what I should do about the exhaust system on my audi a5 2.0 tdi. I understand there's some good options for the 3.0 tdi.

I've gathered that having the DPF removed is illegal as it won't pass MOT due to emissions?

I was wondering if removing the baffles/silencers from the stock system would produce a reasonably good sound? Has anyone ever done this, any inputs welcome!

Cheers guys!!

First of all, :sign welcome: kelbiiz.

Yes, there seems to be a few options out there for 3.0 tdi's, but I suppose these could be modified to suit the 2 ltr, as Agric04 has done above with the stock exhaust, or you could go custom route like I have.

re. DPF removal, yes this is an MOT failure, but as I understand it, this is only a visual check at the moment, emissions could be a problem depending on the health of your car, I think.

Removing the baffles/silencers may give you a little more exhaust note, but not much, depends what your looking for I suppose. I don't have deleted the rear back boxes, the exhaust is a little more throaty above 2000rpm, but it's not a v6 engine note, if that's what your looking for.

JG

Was having difficulty uploading pics last night, but now working. Not the best pics as it was a wet and windy day and I just wanted to get it on. Still need to get the honeycomb insert as I didn't realise it was an extra part when I ordered the valance from Audi. View attachment 74010View attachment 74011View attachment 74012

Agric, firstchoicebumpers2010 are selling what looks like a 3ltr tdi diffuser with insert on ebay, £88.00, this may be cheaper than buying insert from Audi dealer.
Type in - GENUINE AUDI A5 COUPE 2011- FACELIFT S LINE REAR BUMPER SKIRT, sorry I couldn't seem to attach a link to this.
JG

Thanks for the link JG, definitely a cheaper option for anyone upgrading with a slightly older A5. Not many s-line plus models with the gloss black trims out there yet for parts.

Ordered my honeycomb insert today. Total price for upgrading rear valance buying new from the stealers was:
Rear valance £180
Rear valance honeycomb insert £55

I did start my car up with the exhaust disconnected underneath whilst fitting the 3.0tdi pipes and I was quite surprised how little noise came from it even with no silencers. I can see why some people remove them. I quite like the car to be quiet so I'm happy with silencers.

The standard 3.0tdi pipes are making the car sound less raspy and more refined than the standard 2.0tdi system imo.

Thanks for the link JG, definitely a cheaper option for anyone upgrading with a slightly older A5. Not many s-line plus models with the gloss black trims out there yet for parts.

Ordered my honeycomb insert today. Total price for upgrading rear valance buying new from the stealers was:
Rear valance £180
Rear valance honeycomb insert £55

Audi stealers right enough, but once you've finished the mod, you forget how much it cost as you stand back and admire how good it looks. :hubbahubba:

JG

I'm still quids in, had a dual active exhaust fitted to the car by Audi when I bought it, cost £1450 reduced from £1900, was ment to interact with the drive select in the same way the new 3.0tdi's systems do and pipe extra sound into the exhaust via 2 speakers within the exhaust, but never worked correctly on my car, the sound didn't match up and it didn't change sound level via the drive select as it does on the factory fitted units. After months of investigating by Audi UK they agreed it should never have been fitted to my car and was an error on the parts system. At least I got a full refund. My mod has been much cheaper and I've still got the exact look I wanted.

The active exhaust tips were gloss black though, quite liked it, so might at some point gloss these up!

Sounds like you got a result there, win win all the way. :yahoo:
Agree, black tips do look good, you could paint your ones with a high temp gloss paint.
JG

Think I might be painting mine gloss black sooner than I thought! Turns out I may have been a little over enthusiastic cleaning the tips and polished off whatever anticorrosion that was on the surface as they have a slight rusty colouration to them today! The rat look wasn't what I was aiming for lol!!!

Was having difficulty uploading pics last night, but now working. Not the best pics as it was a wet and windy day and I just wanted to get it on. Still need to get the honeycomb insert as I didn't realise it was an extra part when I ordered the valance from Audi. View attachment 74010View attachment 74011View attachment 74012
Hi,,

The only part used for coupling the front part of yours to the 3.0tdi is the adaptor?In the picture I can see the 3.0 exhaust is closer to the gearbox.
How did you used the straight adapter (reducer)? The 2.0 part entered in the 2&1/2 and the 2&1/2 on the inside of the 3.0tdi pipe and that's all?

Attachments

• adaptor.jpg
    adaptor.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 355